Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

We will have stress ongoing in our everyday life. We need to organize break away moments. We can take a brisk walk around the work place during break time, visit the library, clear your mind maybe by meditating or daydreaming. We can bet back on track with our busy daily life situations of work and home life

Actually I do the same. Depemdimg in what mood I'm in, music is a great stress reliever. I also will walk around the building (outside)at break if I get to stressed during the day

General areas of stressors...life. haha But based on the stress of work ( teaching, distancing, helping) and home ( newly wed, mother) I find that there are a combination of things that help me to destress. Commute to work is one :) love my music.
Going for a walk on my break (when I get one) is another. But the third for me which is personal is escaping...whether be by reading a book on my tablet or watching a movie or a tv show. Plugging in my headphones and ignoring the surroundings helps when I know I'm going to be on campus for a very long day.

Troy,
Agreed for the most part. I don't think that stress ever really goes away. You just find better ways to handle it. :D

I'm still working on handling all the stress in my life whether home or work. But I have learned and am learning new ways to manage that stress.

Sometimes when it gets to overwhelming there is nothing better than a good old fashioned cry. I mean it crying can relieve a lot of stress...and it's ok to cry every now and again :)

Having a full-time job as a corporate video producer, while also making a documentary film, teaching on Tuesday evenings and raising a 5 month old baby can definitely cause some stress! Luckily for me, I have a very supportive partner and a baby who sleeps through the night. I also try to take things one at a time, as not to get overwhelmed by everything going on simultaneously in my life.

The general areas of major stressors in my life/career in my last job dealt with traveling over 102 miles roundtrip, financial loss (petroleum gas)driving to that past job, and no team players. I found a new job, less mileage, and working with a great group of people and my stress level has decreased dramatically.

The expectations put on teachers today. I recently saw a comic strip where in the 60's a student was looked at angrily by his parents in front of the teacher for not doing well. Then the image was current and showed the parents mad at the teacher for their child not getting good grades.

I, too, have a long day of classes, taking care of 60+ students a day. I'd love to have a lunch break, but with student concerns and administrative duties, there is no time. I do take my breaks during the day though. Taking the time to walk to the back of the building, getting away from everyone, seems to help me recharge for the next students.

A major stress in my life right now is being a single parent of a teenager. Although he is a really good kid it's sometimes hard dealing with the "teenage" attitude.

Work can be stressful do to a huge "to do list". The stress lessens as I pick away at my list. Fortunately I can't really count students needs as a major stress because I really love teaching and making students comprehend. The "a-ha" moment for them lessens the stress I might have going on.

Travis, Wow, imagery can be powerful and that comic says it all. Yes, today, instructors do face incredible new pressures from students, parents and administrations alike. Sometimes the language we use helps reset unreasonable expectations. I like to remind students that I don't give them grades, they earn grades. I am only just a reporter or messenger in this process!

Dr. Melissa Read

Major stressors in life are work/life balance. Working more than one
job and trying to have a personal life.

Justin, You are not alone. Many of us find ourselves in the exact same situation. Sometimes the best way to manage both worlds is to combine tasks from both of them onto one list. This way, we can take a look at our tasks and priorities holistically.

Dr. Melissa Read

My stress in my life is actually much less than what I see in the lives of those instructors around me. I am retired after 35 years in law enforcement, have a good retirement income, and was fortunate to save for my retirement. My wife works and enjoys her profession. In other words, we are comfortable. The younger instructors are dealing with low pay and the inevitable problems that come with it. This stress spills into their professional life, and decreases their effectiveness in the classroom. I see actual resentment on the part of other instructors toward the school, but a reluctance to leave. Like police, teachers are victims of their own dedication and love for their profession. Employers should not take advantage and realize low moral is also a direct byproduct of stress.

One of my stresses is the fact that I have a boss the micro-manages most things. At time it doesn't feel that I do the same thing twice in the same way. Things are always changing.

Hi Ida. I agree with your post. I think utilizing your car as a place of refuge from stress is great!

Lack of proper equipment in the classrooms is very frustrating. Lack of communication within the administration is frustrating.

Don, Micro management can be tough if it's not a style you are accustomed to working with. There are some people who do really well with it though. To each his own.

Dr. Melissa Read

Many times I am teaching more than 2 courses at once and to juggle the work load, grading, production and ordering for the following weeks can be overload. I find that if I can step out of the building and walk around for about 20 minutes, that I am more productive with the next class than I am if I just work straight through the day.

At the top of my list is not feeling empowered to do my job.

For example, our school has policies and standards just like other schools. These include the requirement that students demonstrate a certain level of competency, both in didactic and clinical. As an instructor, I'm told to follow the policies and maintain the standards, and that's exactly what I do.

However, there have been several occasions when a student either failed remediation or a clinical, and our administrator moved them forward in the program anyway.

I think to myself: Why am I working so hard to follow the rules and evaluate these students if we're still going to push the weak ones through?

i find these scenarios frustrating and stressful.

Stressors at Work:
-Multiple Regulators
-Lack of Knowledge
-Employee Fears

Stressors at Home:
-Single Parent
-2nd Job
-Teenager
-Child's Activities

Sign In to comment