Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

time management

I agree with making a to do list. I find that when I make lists and cross off completed tasks that I feel a lot more productive with what I do with my time. I also notice more things getting done an alot less left unfinished.

I agree Sam. I try to keep a calendar and fill in each day of the week in advance with tasks and meetings that are known. During the day I add to the calendar other items that need my attention and go back and write the time and date when completed. It surely does help.

I also agree with having a to do list. If I work without one I will tend to start multiple things at one time, and get overwhelmed.

Excellent approach Roy! Glad to hear you have found a way to frequently update the calendar too. There are some great paper based and electronic tools that you can get in office supply stores to stay on top of calendar organization.

I also have used the calendar to do list. It helps me in keeping track of when tasks were accomplished and when new projects come due. It is the first thing I look at in the morning and the last thing I update at the end of the day. It has helped me a lot in not missing important deadlines.

Excellent to hear Linda! I like how you check your calendar first and last thing of the day. In the morning, this helps you orient to highest priority tasks. In the evening, this helps give you closure and plan for the next day.

I have found time management is as important as any tool I use. Everyone is given the same amount of time, so ultimately, we have only ourselves to blame if it isnot used effectively. I must work on it constantly to remind myself it is up to me.

I make a to-do list every Friday for the followin week. When I come in on Monday, I review it and then make any changes if necessary. As I complete the task I cross them off.I feel a sense of accomplishment and organization

Hmm, is wanted to remove smaller tasks from you list really a form of immediacy? IE. I spent today doing the 3 required MaxKnowledge courses for the year so it's now off my table/list. Is that so bad?

I teach five different classes at two different career colleges, fortunately not all at once but up to three at a time. Time management is clearly a priority for me. On top of that, we just changed our Learning Management System at one of the schools and are still on the steep part of the learning curve for it. My use of to-do lists is almost on a day-to-day basis since the work load is so high. I do find that if I use lists, even mental ones, I can avoid too much stress. To do that, I use priority lists and take care of the immediate tasks first so that I can be ready for my classes. The one thing that suffers, sometimes, is grading, especially of term papers that have to be read and checked for plagiarism.

Yes excellent point Roy. A calendar or in my case a To Do List in a journal helps too. Good thoughts!

Keeping a to do list is actually the only proper way to keep track of things to do.There are too many things in each and every day that require our attention in some form or another. Too many things, whether small or larger can become overlooked without a schedule.

So true David. It's so easy to overlook important tasks and it really happens to the best of us. Do to lists work well for almost everyone when we put them to good and regular use.

I agree as well. I keep one calender and fill all my personal and business meeting so I will not double book myself. I also spend a few minutes on the first day of class teaching my students how to manage their time.

This concept about not having to do everything now is a good idea. A priority list that can be very useful in accomplishing more tasks at the best time and order as needed.

I totally agree. If I don't make a list, I may not complete everything that has to be completed in a timely manner.

I totally agree. When I have a to do list it helps me to keep track of the things that need to be done first and to remember everything that is coming up :)

Sign In to comment