Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

PROCTASTINATION

PROCTASTINATION IS SOMETHING I AM ALL TOO FAMILIAR WITH, MY WIFE PROCTASTINATS ON EVERYTHING AND IT DRIVES ME CRAZY. I TRY TO EXPLAIN TO HER , JUST DO IT . GET IT DONE AND GO ON WITH WHAT YOU WANT TO DO, BUT SHE JUST DOES NOT GRASP THE CONCEPT.

i know exactly how you feel. and it can be difficult to get them motivated.when i am dealing with students(and the wife) i try torelate to them it is best to do it asap then you dont have to worry about it.

I think I know why I procrastinate, it really depends on the task, if it is easy to do, I do it quickly. If it is something I don't like to do, I procrastinate, but eventually, finish it later rather than sooner.

You are not alone Monty. This is the way many instructors approach task completion. Easy tasks are tempting to complete first and so we often do. They are great confidence builders but ultimately we've got to get to the stuff we don't like too.

Yes, sometimes getting tasks out of the way early can save us from painful consequences later.

I agree, and I do things early when there is an event that I cannot control, i.e. a major holiday with family and friends, business travel, expectation of a major contract for my company, etc.

The issue here to mange time wisely.

But, how do I manage time with an unexpected event?

That's a great question Monty. To account for unexpected events, build buffers of time into your schedule. A 10% buffer usually works well for me but you'll have to experiment a little to find out what works best for you.

This is one of the ways our lessons instruct on Service management. Buffers are important for the unexpected, which can happen often in a Service department.

I think that procrastination is something that can't be overcome in one day. It takes time to break that habit just as with any other habit. I think we procrastinate out of fear as well as out of frustration but I do think it is something that a person can overcome but the person has to want to overcome being a procrastinator. I learned a lot of great techniques from the lesson that was covered. I too can be a procrastinator and save things for the last minute and I hope to be able to apply them in the future. I really want to overcome this which is why I chose this forum.

Thanks!

Well I'm glad you did JuTon! I think your assessment of change is reasonable. Procrastination takes time to change. This isn't something that's going to happen overnight but something you really have to work on. Over time it gets much easier. Just keep it in focus and do what you can each day to slowly evolve.

Yes, buffers are especially important in a Service department Duvall!

I alway do what has to be done at the right time so it does not cost me in the future.If I can not get it done right away,I delegate.

Your right, procrastionation Is a habit. Quite often I find myself doing it; then tackling the easier tasks first.

Yes, many instructors do the easy tasks first Dale. Sometimes it's ok because they are good confidence builders. Other times we focus too much on them and don't knock out the priorities.

I agree, do not procrastate!get your task done!

Procrastination itself is stressful. You are constantly worying about the unfinished project. And after that you have the pressure of completing your task on time once it is started.

Yes, this is so true Carolyn. I like to spend the time that I would be worrying about something actually doing something about it instead.

Procrastination will put you behind in more ways than one....Do it when it comes up saves time as well as worrying about it later

Yes, it's usually better to knock tasks out of your queue with a good pace. Otherwise, they will start to accumulate and become harder to process quickly.

The buffer idea worked great at a shop I worked at. The owner did NOT often schedule anything for the service department on fridays. By the end of each week, we usually had unfinished work. And often we had "squeezed in" additional work. I try to do that at wqork and at home, but sometimes I feel overwhelmed because of all the projects I have at home. I'll have to live to be 110 years old to complete them all!

Sign In to comment