Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

how to reach out to a student

As a instructor i find it hard to reach out to a student who is struggling without them feeling bad

I have the same problemi talk abought this on the first day  

I feel like sometimes that self realization, that they in fact arent doing well and maybe feeling a little bad abut themselves as a result, can open the door and make the student more receptive to change in their study habits and classroom behaviors.  I know it sounds a bit harsh, but often I see that people do not want to admit that maybe their approach isnt the right one and that they could benefit from some different methods.

I agree in that it is the Instructor at times that can reach out and help the student reach their potential and help them realize their potential.

I have had to reach out to several students that were failing. Yes we have to be careful not to make them feel bad however I have used the direct approach to tell them where they are at in the course. I do follow up with what they can do to correct the problem. I have had students come back and thank me for this approach. I do agree with Jessica that the key is not to make them feel bad but lead them to find their potential. That's the job of the instructor.

I use the Henry Ford philosphy. He said that failure was just an opportunity to start over more intelligently.  I reassure my students by telling them that no one expects them to be perfect, but they can't know what they need to get better at until they see what they don't do well.  Then we have a goal to improve. I tell them not to compare themselves to anyone else in the class but to compare themselves to what they knew when they walked into the class.  As long as they are getting better, they are going in the right direction. We all learn at different rates and all are smart at something.  We just have to keep trying until we get there.

I agree in that it is the Instructor at times that can reach out and help the student reach their potential and help them realize their potential.

Sign In to comment