Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Applying the relevance of each course to how it will be used on the job takes learning to a new level.  It is a motivator to the student when they see the value in the course. 

Faculty can help students stay engaged in their learning by using real-world examples. When students can apply the knowledge they've learned, they see the value of their education more clearly and understand the connections with their intended career outcomes. 

Comment on Lisa Daniels's post: Great points, Lisa!

Everything needs to lead back to them. They are the captain of their ship and nursing is a serious occupation. It helps to have a lot of "real life" experience to enhance the material.

Knowing and applying the principles of andragogy are key! Cultivating motivation, self-direction, relevancy, learner validation, and more lead to ownership and empowerment.

I've learned incorporating real life situations and getting students engaged by helping them find value in there preferred course of study

That student impowerment is important for learning

Helpful perspective on empowering students.

I love the idea of creating shared learning goals in addition to the already identified learning objectives of the course.  Empowering students and enhancing student ownership creates greater opportunity for success.

Highlighting the importance of students assuming responsibility for their learning and practical application is crucial.

Comment on David To's post: Empowering students to assume responsibility enhances their engagement in the learning process, leading to increased success rates.

Creating the platform for students to be engaged and take ownership in the learning process will go a long way in preparing them for the future.

Student's retention is enhanced when they are required to own the process.

This section has taught me that students need to learn more than just the course content. They need to also acquire real world skills that empower them to become successful professionals. This can be done by including elements in the coursework (assignments, tests, quizzes) that force the students to contemplate themselves and develop critical thinking, accountability, and self-discipline.

When teaching I need to reinforce the relationship between general education and how students can take responsibility for applying these skills in their jobs. their own learning

Connection to the school outside of the classroom is important.

The fact that students motivation is strengthened with "ownership" and a deep connection to what they are learning through real world experiences resonated with me the most.  The culinary program I work in does this by having students showcase work that they have chosen in our restaurant each week.  Most students do take ownership of the assignments, show excitement, and learn a great deal from the experience.

I like the emphasis on students needing to think of education as an investment in themselves.  Students need to be engaged in the learning process and take ownership of their learning. 

good information with empowerment 

Good information. I hope to keep students engaged by relating to life experiences. 

Sign In to comment