In order to promote enthusiasm in learning, the instructor must also have a sense of enthusiasm. This will help to guide students in the direction for successful learning and help to promote the retention of students.
I probably underestimated the importance of telling jokes before class and picking a silly day to celebrate just for fun. This will be big during covid-19 virtual Instruction.
I have found that you have to keep the classroom alive! Meaning, keeping the students engaged. I made it a habit with starting the class off with a scenario, where the student would have to complete the next steps and other faculty would join in depending on the type of scenario it is. I would also put the students into groups and have them teach the class to each other with of course interjections if something important is missing. The students would anticipate on coming to the next class because they did not know what to expect so to give a little excitement goes a long way. Be creative and innovative is what I have learned and will keep adding to that.
Reminded that getting students to have done work ahead of time, so that class explores, not introduces, content, is often important.
I will ensure to create a dynamic learning environment for all students making sure they are learning what is in the standard based curriculum.
I have considered the opportunity to lighten up in class. I believe this allows students to be normal and not try to confirm to a preconcieved idea of who I think they are, who I am or even their classmates.
I had my students to act out biological processes to assist them with learning difficult processes and to encourage them to become active participants.
This module has hit home, explaining as an educator I am responsible for setting the class tone outside of the context of course content. It also made me reflect and view the value of the class as a team, in that as the leader I am responsible to prime their minds, create intrig, expose the mysteries to difficult concepts. The modifications to my teaching plan, begin the class with an intro into an off topic acknowledgement, and to ensure individual inclusion for the silent student. There's a lot of to work to be performed!
Have fun, safe, positive classrooms.
Seth Soronnadi
I understood that; "It has been proven that with daily reinforcement and recognition there will be at least a 40% higher level of student achievement."
I intend to be more welcoming each day and great the students on a daily basis.
Students are sensitive to how faculty interact with them. I have heard students say this instructor just destroyed me when I made a mistake whereas another instructor made them feel confident when they approached the same situation by saying I understand why you did that but try doing it this way you'll have a better result.
I find complementing students goes a long way. As adults we rarely hear, "Good Job, Well Done." This works great in a classroom.
Keep students engaged is very important. Provide an environment that is positive an enviroment that will keep your students wanting to learn more and more.
It was a good reminder to keep things fun and exciting.
This portion help me understand how important checking in on students at beginning of a class will geer the learning environment and motivations of my students and for the teacher to be aware of each students learning ability that day.
Get a feel for the classroom and where the students are each day they present for class. Be creative with how you will engage the students each day. If you become complacent with teaching, your students may become complacent as well.
"It has been proven that with daily reinforcement and recognition there will be at least a 40% higher level of student achievement."
What an incredible statistic and point! It is imperative to encourage student's to reach their highest potential and foster a classroom that encourages them to do so.
I like the idea of biography and student biographies as a general group discussion. Everyone has something they can bring to the table.