Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Advising Students

What are the key components of successful student advising?

Understand the needs of your student
Each advising session should be progressive
The student should actively participate in the process.
Advisors should be aware of all services provided by the instiutution

Hi Carol,
Advisors should also be aware with external common services that can help students as well.

Patricia Scales

if you ask the right questions of your students you should identify that they have different needs and learning styles. that way you can adapt your style to better suit their needs.

Hi Russell,
I agree! When I teach I make a special effort to try to reach all learning style in my teaching so that I do not miss anyone.

Patricia Scales

Successful advising takes into account the whole student: Not just where does this student stand acadmeically-that's a given. Where is this student mentally, physically, socioeconomically, what are his or her relationships like, what supports are there in this students life? You have to see the big picture to deliver the most accurate advice for this individual person's situation. When you have built a trusting relationship with your students and they know that you are there to help them and you genuinely want to see them succeed it's amazing what they will tell you and trust you with.

What is a delicate way to have a student self-reflect?

Hi Nicole,
You may want to use writing to have students self reflect. When a student's problem is beyond my scope I refer them to experts in the area.

Patricia Scales

I believe successful 'advising' is two fold. As the experienced 'mentor'- one is expected to give good sound advise that will assist the individual with options and best choices as they progress through their education on the way to a career. Every student is unique and it does have to be customed to that particular student based on the knowledge the mentor has with a particular type student and what their goals are. But the second part of this is a bit more subjective. I think there has to be a strong degree of 'honesty'. In this I mean- the mentor sometimes has to assess and be honest with the individual that 'this may not be the way to go' This is particularly difficult because we should not assume that we are 'all knowing' and shoot down the dreams of an individual. But we must excercise our given experience and explain to the individual that our experience shows that they may or may not be successful in there given attempt. It's hard to explain the tough sells without having an inclination to talk the person out of what we preceive as the 'wrong move' but we have a responsibility to point out the adverse sides. We see a few consistant problems that arise when we don't do this. 1) the student fails- end of story, 2) they pass but not with the knowledge, enthusiasm, and drive to be successful in that field 3) they pass and never procede into that field 4) they become disenchanted in a field but feel trapped into it 5)They waste time and money and switch fields 6) they drop out with intentions to return but don't
RETENTION of a student is more important than recruitment. If you put time and resources into a recruitment and they fail, it is wasted, and your goal for the next term continues to be higher than normal- you create an endless cycle of work. If you retain them, you need to recruit less, credibility in the institution rises and staff can work more for the student than they have to just to try to recruit them

Hi Ralph,
Awesome response! You are definitely on point! Sometimes it is hard, but the truth is the best way to go.

Patricia Scales

I agree with Carol that we first must into consideration ALL the needs of our students. I also like to idea of progressive advising because that allows the student to reflect upon their goals and determine if they are on target. I also encourage student to write down their academic and career goals. That keeps them accountable and on the path of creating success. We have the opportunity to cause them to step outside of the box, and also cause them to stretch. It becomes a win-win for them.

The key components of successful student advising in my opinion begins with caring for their outcome. Students need to know that we are a key to their success and by starting for the point of "I truly care about you doing well", makes them feel secure when sharing with us. Then when we challenge them to reach their potential and take academic risks, they know we're cheering for them and watching for their growth. By taking time to sit with them and help them articulate their goals, we empower them and can openly guide them. I love my job!

Hi Karen,
I can tell you love your job! We certainly need more educators like you. You geniunely care! My favorite moto is, "A student does not care how much you know, until they know how much you care." Continue to rah, rah, your students...be their biggest cheerleader.

Patricia Scales

Student advising is a key component for student to achieve their goals. We are to inspire, motivate and mentor. Advising informs the student as to their progress throughout their program, strengths and weakness, allows for fostering game plan between instructor and student for them to achieve their goals, at the highest level, with pride and great confidence, especially when enter the work force with their newly obtained careers.

Hi Jennifer ,
Our students need as much advice as possible. When students are advised properly they can certainly be successful.

Patricia Scales

I have always found that active listening is the key. Being good at this skill takes time and practice. You have to be genuinely interested in what the student is saying, free from distractions and interruptions. Of course, this is difficult in the world of multitasking. However, the investment in time with your student may reveal an area of need that may ultimately lead to a drop. Offer your time full heartedly and involve the student in the resolve of any issues. Gone are the days when just handing them a referral source will fix the problem. These days, they need assistance with helping themselves.

Hi Maria,
Listening is key! Sometimes our students just need to vent, and other times they really need resolutions to problems. We have to let our students know that we are there for them.

Patricia Scales

I am a firm believer of students advising through listening and accountability. I would listen to any situations that is presented to me. However, I would let the students find the answer to their questions, with proper guidance, of course. I'm supposed to guide, teach them how to find their strenghts and overcome their fears of the unknown. If I have to tell them what to do then they would only rely on me to answer all their problems. But if I show and guide them how to come up with a solution to their problems, they will become better individuals in the end and in the long term. Once they learn this trait, they will be accountable for their own actions and words.

Hi Iris,
I like the guidance you give your students to help them become better citizens. You make them think for themselves.

Patricia Scales

Good Day to Everyone, I am very happy of my job not only as an Educator, instructing students but also as an Advisor, advising Students reach their goals and to be Successful Graduates of their chosen Program.
There are Steps in Advising to be Successful Advisors to Students. Here are the Steps.
First, Exploration of life goals.Second, Exploration of vocational goals. Third, Program choice. Fourth, Course choice, and last but not the least is Scheduling classes.

As an Instructor, having the capability of advising students, especially if you are trying to encourage to stay in school has a big impact on the every students' lives.

Sign In to comment