Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I find that when a student older or younger feel that you care about there success,communication is a lot better. You must listen and try to see there side then Advice/Help the student make a decision based on their limitations and goals Advising only helps if they feel you care.

Hi James,
You are on point! Honesty is the best policy! We are in place to help the students. Get them the help they need.

Patricia Scales

Hi Milton,
Yes, you have it! Students need to know that we genuinely care about them and their success.

Patricia Scales

When I advise a student, I do this one on one. I tell them how they are doing academically and what needs to change in order for them to be successful. I challenge them to come up with a solution to the problem and then have them agree to make the changes. I then watch their progress to see how they are doing. If they improve, I let them know that I notice. If they don't improve, then I have another talk with them to see how they are doing with making the necessary adjustments that they came up with. I try to let the students know that I care about their success, but they also need to put forth the effort to be successful.

Hi Taylor,
Great approach, I especially like how you follow up with your students. Students love knowing that you genuinely care about them.

Patricia Scales

What are the student's strengths and weaknesses. Someone who prefers interacting with others would not do well working in a cubicle.
Are there transportation issues? I am located in a rural area with minimal to no public transportation and this has an impact esp regarding job placement.

Hi Patricia,
Our students certainly have a lot going on. We need to ask as many probing questions as possible so that we can better help our students.

Patricia Scales

I think the most important step is the first one: get to know them as a person and find out what they hope to achieve by attending school. Why are they there? What are their interests? Where are they from, where do they hope to be in 5 years? Once we have some background, we can better advise them on the options of pathways they can take.

in answer to the question of components of successful advising, I would have to include-Achive "buy-in" from the student in achieving course goals. I focus on "selling" them on why sticking to the program will be a positive for them. Get them to understand how changing a particular behavior will be a positive for them.

Hi Dave,
Great way to get buy-in from the student. Students have to know how they are going to benefit to spark interest. Sell the students the benefits.

Patricia Scales

Hi Cindy,
When you have a rapport with students, things seem to flow a lot smoother. Getting to know students, yet keeping things professional, is a plus.

Patricia Scales

m l
m l

oh, to have a dollar for each hallway session. I use them for attendance, academics, school-related, and even some personal encounters. quick and quiet, and the tchrs like them because the students miss only minutes out of a class.

Hi Marsha,
Money always gets everyone's attention. It is magic! A must to try!

Patricia Scales

I am always fair with my students, but it is nice to know that management have you back when you have to get tuff. But when management come to pulls you out of class when a student do not like it. They feel they have the power, and when they proudly announce it. It`s not a good feeling.

Hi Frank,
Being fair to all is a must. Administration should always have your back. I never let my instructors know if they did anything that I did not agree with in front of the student. I support them in front of the student, and when the student is not present I let the instructor know how I would have handled things differently. Instructors need personnel support.

Patricia Scales

Advising students is not simply saying words to them. As an educator and adviser I must be truthful, honest and able to transform my words into action and most of all - emphatic to them and their situation. The student must feel that I care, that I am honest and truthful of my words and actions. How? Let me simply say, human being, like any student or learner, is by nature intelligent, loving and keen species of the animal kingdom. Naturally, the students want to succeed and to improve as a person and as a member of the community. I am very positive that a students can feel if my empathy is authentic or not. I have been a student and will always be a student myself. I can feel it if my adviser is real or "theatrically finesse."
However, the students also need an adviser who has integrity and trustworthy.
Furthermore, as an educator adviser, I must be consistent in communicating with my students. I must advise them not only when they are doing marginal performance in the class but also when they are doing well. This strategy has made me successfully able to feed in to the students some guidance and real life experiences on how to maximize their unlimited potentials.
Finally, consistent feedback or advising builds a strong and professional student-instructor relationship. This relationship, unquestionably, will not only lead to successful student advising per se but also will yield positive outcomes on the students' lives in the future.

Hi Austin,
I can tell you genuinely care about your students. You put your students first, and you want them all to feel a sense of importance. Students love knowing that the instuctor truly has their best interest at heart.

Patricia Scales

Prescriptive Advising is a direct answer to a direct question. Developmental Advising takes into account the students development stage in life as well as the students interaction.

Hi Sondra,
The key to advising is really being a good listener. Students need our professional expertise to help them along the way.

Patricia Scales

For me I find that success advising requires that the students see I care about their success. I get a large number of students that have come from backgrounds where they did not receive a lot of support or have things they could trust. So by becoming that one stabile element in their school life I can help to steer them to a correct path that will give them a positive learning outcome.

Sign In to comment