Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

In a technical school environment where programs are short and staff to student ratios are an issue, advising takes on a somewhat different cloak. We work with some learners whose education history may not be as driven as traditional colleges. A lot of what we do is around attendance, mitigating life challenges and motivating students to complete school. Often our students are the first in their family to attend a post-secondary school so the advising takes on an element of fostering their dreams. Now to answer your question:

1. Must involve the students thoughts. A good advising session is just that, guidance rather than telling. The student should arrive at their improvement suggestions through careful suggestion.
2. Should have specific goals in mind before it starts and involve steps to achieve said goals.
3. Be documented and student provided a copy.

Our student population tends to be largely made up of lower income students. They are working hard to improve their lives, so listening to where they are mentally and physically is very important. Most of them have never written a research paper, so I listen and try to clarify why things are done they way they are. I also try to listen to the outside influences the students discuss as well. I try to be supportive in my position as a librarian.

Setting and maintaining expectations. It is needed to be consistent especially with non traditional students who need to no what are acceptable behaviors.

Hi Robert,
You have to have rules even for adult learners.

Patricia Scales

Getting the student to focus on the real issue and not all the issues that they are facing at onnce.

Some keys are to start with empathy and work towards a goal that addresses concerns but has an attainable set of outcomes that will help the students. Listen would be another, a lot of times I have found the students just want someone to listen. Keeping the student focused on the process of their education and on track would be another component. All my students seem to be one flat tire away from having to drop out completely, and letting them know road blocks are common and overcome-able has been a big component as well.

Hi Raul,
Our students have to learn how to separate their person promblems from their academics.

Patricia Scales

Hi Michele,
We certainly have a challenge with the type of students we deal with. They really have all kinds of problems, and yes they are not high academic people.

Patricia Scales

Hi Martin,
Yes, we should be the professional that we want our students to become.

Patricia Scales

Hi Soneka,
Most of our students need constant mentoring. We have to be their biggest cheerleader and guide them because what they are used to.

Patricia Scales

I agree, mentoring is very much a part of the education life cycle. However, when we look at the proprietary education model, where there are issues with student to staff ratios and lack of Student Services departments, we have to become creative about what that mentoring looks like and the opportunities where we can provide it. It continues to be one of the reasons many schools struggle because unlike traditional schools we don't have 2-4 years to develop a mentoring relationship.

When advising students I always start out with positive items I want to mention and then ask the student for any feedback that they have about what is going on in their classes or their lives. I usually take my cues from them and after discussing their issues, I will get around to the topics I feel need addressing with the student. This way, when they come to my office, they feel that they are getting advise and not a lecture.

The key components of successful student advising are do it privately, make them see their mistakes
and clarify the expectations let them sign the advising keep a copy and give them copy.

I am currently an Adult Student and it is hard learning all over again and juggling home and work along with it, so having an instructor who understands what you are dealing with helps a lot.

- Focus on the student and their ongoing needs over time
- Challenge students to achieve their learning potential
- View students as active partners
- Help students understand that their education is their responsibility.
- Steps: Life goals, vocational goals program of choice, course choice and schedule classes

When advising students it is important to remember and understand what is happening in their life might be affecting their behavior. Listening to what they have to say evaluating the circumstance, and building report will help in the outcome of the session. Sometimes you will have to take a hard stance but knowing the entire situation can help with the approach you will take.

I very much like your quote:
"A student doesn't care how much you know, until they know how much you care."

Each of my students have stressors on the outside that have an impact on whether they are successful at school. Some are able to cope with them better than others. Therefore, for those who are having trouble, I try to work with them individually. I always make myself available after class helping them to understand the material. Seeing them grasp the material and do well on an exam is rewarding for both of us and more importantly instills a sense of confidence in them.

For the student that is repeating a class I do find it challenging to keep their attention. They tell me that they are listening to me but, because they do not appear to be engaged makes me wonder. What suggestions do you have for this type of student?

Sign In to comment