Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Solutions to each class learning problem must be unique as every class and its students are. 

It is important to know where your students stand in the beginning and to put them in the right level  course.

If a student needs remediation, it is not ethical for them to be placed in a more advanced class.

I intent to incorporate why the adult learner is in school and build on their past experiences in lecture.

By learning from students past you can help focus on their future.

By understanding the adult learners previous comprehension of material it best allows the educator to facilitate an active learning process for the student. The educator must allow for a comfortable active learning environment to be successful within their program or course. 

When we say that quality instructors ensure that all students learn regardless of their learning style we need to know that no matter what we need to design the instructional model according to their learning style in we want good academic results.

Creating a safe and supportive environment is an overarching theme. 

Take an inventory of students prior life and educational experiences to customize your educational delivery. taking an interest in a students personal life makes you better at teaching them.

Discovering the ways to best teach your students is the job of the educator.  Providing quality education helps the adult student learn better and retain the information. 

It is a challenge with adults coming from a variety of backgrounds to understand experiences and build on them as some have lots of experiences and others  may not have as many experiences.  Hopefully those more experiences individuals can have time to share with those less experienced. 

I have been teaching adult learners for over 20 years, and I have grown to appreciate that every student brings different things to the classroom. They may come from different cultures, they have different past learning experiences, they may have real-world work experience, and they all have different learning styles and capabilities. The best thing a teacher can do is to ask questions of their students. Find out what they bring to the classroom and what their experiences are, then provide learning options and a supportive environment. Students are more successful if they feel like they are in a supportive environment that supplies clear guidance.

I learned the importance of seeking to understand the different learning styles of my adult learning students.  I'm hoping to use these principles and develop some formative exercises to gauge knowledge and student learning styles.  Also, I intend to add more exercises to incent understanding.

Apply those best practice methods in the classroom and make sure I'm the best instructor I can be.

Robert Gagne provides a guide as how to apply learning in the classroom with activators, supporters enhancers, and maintainers.

You need to employ a variety of teaching methods in order to teach all adults.

Adults have different learning styles, usually shaped by their past educational experiences. Learning your students best methods will help you as an instructor reach/teach them best.

It's very important to create conditions according to each of the adult students, because they have previous experiences, knowledge, motivation and a good instructor should be supporting and activating the learning requirements of each student

For educators teaching adults, an essential task is facilitating learning by respecting the learners' autonomy, drawing upon their experiences, and connecting new knowledge to their existing knowledge base. This involves creating a collaborative learning environment, using practical, real-world applications to make learning relevant, and employing diverse teaching strategies that accommodate different learning styles and intelligences. Educators should also provide opportunities for self-directed learning and critical reflection, enabling adults to take ownership of their learning process and apply new skills and knowledge to their personal and professional lives.

Engage adult learners in learning

understand your students and adapt

Sign In to comment