Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

There are different stages of development in thehuman growth cycle. And we ned to be aware of what stage our students are. This could help us understand their attitudes towards their education.

A person's motivation is affected by their psychosocial development which can be described in 3 different ways:

-Erikson - 8 psychosocial stages of crises versus victories

-Levinson - a greater sense of individualization is achieved during each chronological age

-Havighurst - a person's development is influenced by a series of develpmental tasks which a person needs to achieve/complete at a certain age

I have gained that self direction, transformation ,experience, mentorship, mental orientation and readiness to learn , can posively impact adult learning experiences both in the classroom and on the job.

I believe that each developmental theory is helpful when looking into adult learning. Overall, it's important to be mindful in regards to what our adult learner is experiencing in their current life stage. We can speculate through models and theories, however, I believe it would be best just to talk and build rapport with them in order to get to know them at a personal level.

ericksons stages of development give inscight into the mental state of adult learners. This reflects the key objectives and an ideas that are present within them. 

I do not fully agree with any of the three. I believe each person's develpment is unique to them and is probably a combination of the three theories.

My knowledge was enhanced by reviewing Erikson, Havighurst, and Levinson adult development theories.

Erikson made great contributions to the teaching world.

I have learned previously the stages that each age group and how it relates to their abilities, but really dissecting the way that the adult learner is impacted by these life stages their in and how it truly affects them is fascinating. I will apply it by ensuring that each life stage is being considered throughout the learning process because twenty year olds learn differently than a fifty year old. These things will definitely need to be identified early on in order to allow the student to be successful.

I love Erikson and as a teacher I can tell that the different stages reflect what the person is really able to do.

Havighurst theories and age ranges seem a little outdated. 

Erikson's stages of development have guided me the most in my career.  Humans and human nature is pretty consistent.  I disagree with my peers here that state Havighurst's needs to be updated due to societal changes.  The age ranges are broad and many people will still fall into them accordingly, even with the changes in society.  I believe some of my peers are judging his timeline based on their own personal opinions vs the majority. 

I have learned that adult development occurs in different ways. Erickson believes that personal development occurs in a series of psycho-social stages and should occur within a specific time frame. Levinson also believes that development occurs in stages, but the biggest contrast with Erickson is that these stages are determined by chronological age. Lastly, Havighurst views human development as a series of tasks that occur during different age ranges or time frames. These three psychologists offer similar theories as to what motivates students. Teachers of different age groups will benefit from understanding the importance of reaching various stages of development and understanding how to help students who were not able to surpass the milestones.

Many different stages in life and also many ways to look at life. I think that It is important to be flexible as we never know where someone is in life and we may need to adjust our teaching style.

I found that the synergy of the three theorists Erickson Levinson and Havighurst all brought clarity to human development in their own unique perspective

I have gained more insight into adult learning and development.

While I believe the idea that a person may only be successful within their age group based on the given set of standards Havighurst suggests to be outdated, I appreciated seeing the model and his point of view.

All three theories are related to the changes in the personality and personal development according to the age of the people. It was important to see the big changes that we need to face in our lifes and how we have to manage them

The theories reflect the opportunity for instructors to understand how adult learners can process information. I find  it very useful when preparing lesson plans and activities.

It's never too late for adult learners to ignite a passion for knowledge! Inspired by Malcolm Knowles' principles of adult education, we encourage you to take control of your learning journey. Engage with material that resonates with your experiences, apply it practically, and learn at your own pace.

Sign In to comment