Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Learning in a shop enviorment

Prior to getting hands on practice, we lecture , demo and discuss the tasks at hand. It is difficult to reach all students due to differant learning styles. I try to break items down to the pure basics and let those who need more input ask their questions. I can always tell who puts in the effort to learn a subject when we get to practice lab. I then target those who don't really understand the subject matter for one on one teaching/learning.

In an automotive shop/lab environment I allow small groups of 2-3 for demonstration and practice of hands on skills, however when it comes time for assessment it must be done on an individual basis.

Mark,

You imply some people don't make an effort. Are those the same that do not grasp the subject matter or others? Have you tried pairing students in the lab?

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

I also pair students up during lab taskes but asses them idividually for there final grade. This seems to keep them motivated.

We do our labs in small groups usually 3 in a group. I find that allowing them to pick their own grops seldom achieves the desired outcome. As class goes along I try to access who has a better handle on the subject matter and try to have one such person in each group. Although some sharp students are not interested in sharing their knowledge or are bothered by trying to do so, usually spreading the wisdom around evenly helps those who otherwise would elect to put themselves in groups with others who are just as challenged with the material.

I also am an automotive instructor, and I find that the best number of students in a lab group is 3. If I have a lab group of 2 from the numeric breakdown of the class, I always get students with 100% attendance, I know that they are motovated and will show up. 4 students in a lab group is too many and one person won't get enough time with their hands on the tools and end up doing poorly on their test out.

Harry,

Spreading the wisdom as you do increases the learning for all.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

Craig,

Is it the amount of equipment that makes a group of 4 problematic? The time allotted? Or something else?

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

I also deal with the shop enviorment and lab groups I find that 4 in a group works out fine. Some of the time is used brnging vehicles in the shop. So in my case its not equiptment I think its moreso working with the time we have.

Scott,

Focus on student outcomes. Way too often the focus is on "covering" material as opposed to assuring students master a skill at an acceptable level. If we move forward because of concerns about time we may leave a few students behind.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

Learning in a shop enviroment is in my opinion the best way to simulate an actual work enviorment. Students will more comfortably adapt to the work procedures than they would in an actual work environment. They will gain the confidence and know how necessary to excel in the real world.

Lino ,

At the same time it is a learning environment and a place where they can make their mistakes without fear of losing a job.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

I like the 2-3 per group this gives the lab groups the time needed to preform there lab task and everyone gets the knowledge of the lab being performed

Gary,

Peer to peer support helps the learning as well.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

We also have lab groups of 3 I find the one who is not understanding wants to just watch. During there lab I will go by ask each student questions to make sure the are understanding what is going on in the lab. I also explain if there not understanding they need to ask questions and ask for tutoring to help them understand so when they reach there final checkout class and have to work by themselves they will be successful.

Brian,

How do you know they are not understanding? Watching might be the signs of a visual learning style. Does the lack of understanding come out when ask each student questions?

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

I agree. I try to have the weakest person in a certain area ( ie. using the computer) do all the computer tasks in the group. Then i in a way let him tell the other guys in the group what it says and in turn hes learning how to use the computer but also is helping him with his communcation skills to the other students.

Jason,

That is a very positive technique. Learning and building confidence inconspicuously.

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

I agree with you all of the smarter students want to work with one another. I try to brake them up so there is one in every group.

Sign In to comment