Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I am lucky because on of the courses I teach lends itself to this multi-sensory approach. Our wine course allows students learning to occur on many levels and also “forces” the instructor to embrace this approach. Being able to see, smell, and evaluate the wine assists the students in gaining a deeper understanding of concepts such as maturation, varietal blend, terroir influence, etc.

In the environment in which I teach, this can be a difficult task. In a kitchen, there isn't much room for many of these tools. However, using peripheral tools and incorporating colors can be useful. For some classes, group work is at the core of the class. So assigning those groups appropriately (seating) is extremely helpful.

I do have visuals on the walls in the classroom and refer to them as I lead the class. I also have what I call POD's (phrase of the day) and WOD's (word of the day) that my students choose. Thus I can help to bring my class together. I can improve on that by having them write them on colored paper and we can hang them on the walls.
I have never been big on music becuase I feel it is distracting to my learning, however I see now how I could use it without creating that distraction.

I have music playing as the students enter the kitchen and we have a good time talking about music and food before the class begins. When it's classtime, the music is turned off and we get to work. During cleanup the music can come back on. This gives the students the auditory clue to know when we are truly trying to learn new concepts. For the seating, I have the students set up the chairs so they are in a circle around the table I am demonstrating on. I then go round and round showing the students what I am working on. Lastly, I try to have some of the item baked so we can taste what the item is supposed to taste like.

Hi Deborah!

Absolutely - as well as copyright regulations and if students "all" agree - as I previously stated.

There was a post that suggested using your IPOD after downloading free music. I am not familiear with the copyright regulations but your school should be able to give you the info that you need.

Using colored paper, different shapes for emphasis, poster, etc. all help in creating a multi-sensory learning environment. Just be creative and make it fun!

Keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

Hi Larry!

I would imagine that culinary arts would present great opportunities for creating a multi-sensory learning environment. Smelling, tasteing, seeing, hearing, and touching food - what more could you ask for?!?!? :-)

Keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

Hi Robert!

It seems to me that you have the natural tools in the look, smell, taste, feel of foods as well as the use of different cooking tools. I'm sure part of the course focuses on food display where you can add colorful decorations and accessories. I've always heard that the display of the food is what initially makes it appealing.

Keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

I taken thousands of pictures of students in the kitchen making there learning outcome of the day. I could print some of them off and frame them around the kitchen. It might make them a little bit more comfortable knowing that students before them made it though the class. I have a white board that I use a variety of colors and shapes for a discussion of the days learning outcomes. We are not allowed to have music in the kitchens. It is very hard in a learning kitchen to talk over the music. The last day of class is a cleaning day and we are allowed to play music. It realy motivates them.

How could you try using color, visuals, seating, creative supplies and music to improve the learning environment for your students?

Hi Tom!

Very good strategies. I especially like the way that you are using music. You aren't letting it get in the way of learning but are enhancing learning.

Keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

Hi Dianne!

It sounds like that you are being creative in creating a multi-sensory environment using the environment itself. I like it!

Keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

The room has large windows that look out on a hillside covered with maple trees. In front of the windows, sitting on narrow tables are various green & leafy plants.
Various pictures and posters are on the walls: samples of student projects & paintings etc...
The tables are round and seat from 4 to 6 people easily. On each table is a tool box containing colored markers, post-it notes, tape, scissors, play doh, tooth picks, paper clips, a ruler, glue sticks, and other odds and ends. There is no teacher's desk, nor is there a clearly designated "front" of the room. On one wall there is the traditional blackboard, but the opposite wall has the screen which is used with the over head projector and computer presentations. Along one wall are book cases filled not only with reference books, but more supplies such as construction paper, note cards, and other art supplies, legos, dice, and games.
There is also a CD player on the table playing classical music softly. Around the room are various stuffed animals: a couple of monkeys, a large, lumpy camel, and a baby emu. Gadgets such as a magnetic calendar, a mobile, and metal puzzles are also scattered throughout the room.
As students enter the room, they engage in friendly small talk with each other as they decide on the table their team will sit at that day. On the blackboard is a cognitive map of the days activities with reminders of assignments that are due. When the music stops, I ask a student to lead the class in a wake-up stretching exercise for a half a minute to lively music. The students relax and smile as they work out some of the muscle tension they feel from sitting and listening for the last few hours.

I find it entertaining to really customize my Powerpoint presentations with lots of color, images, and motions. Although it may look impressive, I am concerned that it may be too distracting. It was interesting to learn that some templates could be overwhelming or anxiety-causing. I will definitely review all my presentations and tone down my color usage.

I don't really use colors but I can "feel" the difference between a class working with music or not working with music. I've noticed that the performance and productivity greatly improve.

Bryce,
yes, there are many ways to encourage the students & liven up the atmosphere, we need to keep exploring.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I agree color are important it set the move in the classroom

Sign In to comment