Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I think that we could set up color coded areas of the room and have different task to do pertaining to the color choosen for that task. When, let's say-- the Blue Station has been completed then they can move on to the Gray Station as stated in this course

Our class rooms are also our mechanical lab. We have no room for anything but tables, chairs and a white board.

The restrictions imposed by the physical layout of the classroom, and the subject matter taught, have affects on the learning environment. In many classrooms the tables and chairs need to remain in rows and face the classroom's whiteboard. In a technical class, there may be some posters on the walls to provide additional reference material. Music in a math course would be distracting, so should not be used. Creativity can often be limited by budgets and time. Also, when classrooms are used throughout the day for a number of classes, they must remain generic and not personalized. However even with constraints and budget limitations, creativity and color can be used on a limited basis in the design of course material and the method the course material is presented. An effective learning environment should always be the goal in a classroom.

John, have you thot about portable displays such as an a-frame for postures? What else could you use that is portable to make the room more friendly?

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

This is agood way to appeal to all the sensor's of the students,and keep their interest...

Making the right color change in your classroom can bring a nice calming effect to a class that is excitable. In industry we had red and gray walls on the service drive. we had a odd number of customers that would loose there temper when dropping off there cars. Our owner had a company come in to evaluate what the service personnel where doing wrong, to his and our surprise the said that the service advisors where doing a great job but change the colors of the walls. To make a long story short the walls where painted a blue and white, and our major issues where gone. I have seen the effects of having the right color ;)

Joseph,

There are options for copyright approved or free music that are great. Most aerobics / exercise music is copyright free.

I love the sound of your classroom. It is so important to greet the students in a way that is different but inviting. I tell my facilitators to make it look like we are greeting an honored guest.

Lou Russell

Those are great ideas. I recommend the LIND Institute, Chris Brewer and Gary Lamb for great music selections. I put it all in iTunes, and then play it from my laptop using external speakers.

For the environment, be cautious with color - sometimes different colors can bother people. For example, red can have seriously bad or good reactions, depending on culture. I use light blue and light green for evaluations, pre-work and homework. Blue is pretty much always safe.

Also, you can modify your environment by moving chairs around temporarily, bringing in some cut flowers or just putting red plastic cups with fun markers around. Different wacky post-its are fun as well. Some people carry motivational posters with them, but I prefer quotes on colored paper.

Thanks!

Lou Russell

I really disagree with the point of this module.
If I was teaching Kindergartners I think these ideas would be relevant. But this is for college students, for crying out loud!
I think motivational posters are propaganda.
I think colored paper is irrelevant, I think music is distracting.
I'm trying to impart tons of information, this is not play-hour.

I have found time and again that posters and banners arranged around the classroom tend to maintain interest in the class and help to spur questions. If nothing else it gives them something interesting to daydream about.

The main object is to try to peak the students interest. I teach a variety of automotive courses. One way I have found that seems to work is either on the white board or on a poster draw or have a picture of a system that goes with the topic. This can't be a picture of an ordinary system. It would be one that maybe a certain manufacturer had used for a short time that wasn't common. Try to get them intrigued and asking questions before the class even starts.

We teach a mechanics course in a lab room that is basically a garage. we have bright red lifts, tool boxes desks and many manufacturer training posters and banners around the room. We only have a few seats so you are on your feet working all the time. We do have music if we want to use it, but it's up to the instructor to use it the way he wants.

Our Team has developed colored posters and Art work for our classroom walls. We are able to engage our students in conversation during lectures and break time pertaining to what these represent and how the systems described operate. I also like to move the classroom tables around unexpectedly prior to the students arrival when I begin a new lecture or Lab. This draws a great deal of interest from the students since they have no clue what is going on today. I use music just prior to testing about a 5 minute piece. I also like to play music when the class is entering the room and I,m performing a "Meet and Greet". Another class I teach is a computer Lab and it is set up just as described in this module. Works out perfectly. Great information Thanks.

I have found that most learners have better responses if the instructor is prepared and furthermore helps the students be prepared by supplying items such as markers,pens and paper to take notes with during lecture. Lets the students know its time to sit down and learn. Of course not all students are willing to take ownership and be involved, however it gets the point accross to everyone that they are here to learn and be involved.

My current enviroment allows me to use most of these tools already.
I am able to do both lecture style learning and lab/shop based learning.
During lectrue I try to keep the room as well lit as possible while still using powerpoint.
We have a wide variety of colors in the room along with a big bay door to allow natural light in.
Seating changes depending on the activity (lecture, demo, ect) that helps alot!!!
And our ability to use constantly change our music choice is the best uplifter and motivater I have ever used!

I already use most of these in my classroom, for instance colors, visuals, and creative supplies
in the form of actual training aids (vehicles that they actually work on) within the lecture to give them hands on while listening. I have round tables to improve group learning and play music during lab time.

Good for you AND you AND your class Edward! Keep up the good work.

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

Good job Myron! I am curious if the school administration if fully onboard with the use of music in the classroom? I definitely support the use of music especially for the non-traditional student who has worked all day and comes straight to class. They need a down moment before class.

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

No one wants to learn in a dungeon. Having colored walls with pictures that relate to the subject matter, inspirational posters, and some just really cool stuff to see, goes a long way for the students to help them shut out the rest of the world and keep their minds in the current classroom. If their learning environment is a place they like to be in, then learning and retension improves dramatically. We have items in the rooms that relate specifically to the course they are currently studying, and use visual aids of actual parts for them to see and feel. Playing music keeps them relaxed as long as it matches the intensity of the learning.

using certain colors can assist in the students mood or frame of mind in attention to learning, as would visuals aids to keep there att ,seating to retain there att better and less distractions around them,music helps set the atmosphere for the learning enviroment.

Sign In to comment