Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I do not allow music in my class of any kind. During the lecture and discussions it is distracting and since we are working on vehicles that are often running, trying to play music over the noise is an exercise in futility.

We changed the color of the room from yellow to a light blue in an attempt to calm down an overly active student body. Didn't work very well then some one noticed that the chairs will still red. We intent to change the chair color when we can to see if this will change anything.

Donald:

That's an interesting experiment. I'd love to see what happens. Have you tried playing very soft instrumental classical music 60-80 beats per minute (baroque is best) as people come in? It might also help to have assigned seats to break up more unruly pairings. Any change in the environment will be noticed and knock things off a bad pattern.

Lou Russell

Totally agree with that. Color dictates the mood.

Raymond:

How do you use color? Are there handouts that use color? How do you find your students react to them.

Lou Russell

Using different colors and music sounds intriguing and fun. It's a matter of figuring out what to use in a very creative classroom environment, where tastes and opinions can be strong and diverse. As for seating arrangements, I'd like to try different seat assignments each class -- give students a sense of different visual perspectives.

I like the idea of putting things up around the room, but we change classrooms all the time at my school. Instead, I try to use different colored markers for different categories on the whiteboard. As far as seating arrangements, I use a circular formation of desks when doing writing workshops.

Since changing our classrooms seating arrangements to the "U" configuration we have seen a dramatic difference in students. The percentage of students paying attention and staying on task has increased to an instantly noticeable difference. Prior to his we had rows of computers all facing front and it was easy to lose students to the temptation of facebook and myspace.

Hi Chris! Thanks so much for your observations. I have found too that the way a classroom is physically configured has a significan effect on the learning environment. The "U" shape creates more of an opportunity for student engagement and participation and even helps the instructor to visually keep a better watch on the pulse of the classroom.

Jay Hollowell
ED107

Hello,

I will definitely think about adding more color to my handouts. I sometimes use royalty free clip art on some of my handouts.

As far as seating is concerned, there's not too much I can do. The classroom is small, and students sit at long tables. However, I could create a small aisle so I could move around more.

Finally, I have been tempted to use instrumental music while students are writing, but I haven't for fear that some students might be bothered by it. However, I will consider giving it a try.

Hello,

I strongly believe that environment plays a key role in the students' energy levels. In grade school or high school, teachers can alter their classrooms in many ways. This, however, is somewhat more difficult in college. However, even small additions make a big difference; for example, aroma therapy scents, colored markers, colorful handouts, etc.

Hi Carol! You have touched on such a very important point; so many adult learning environments are static and non-engaging; colorful props, aroma and other ways to engage the senses can really stimulate a student's interest. Thanks!

Jay Hollowell
ED107

The quotes can be motivating. So can pictures. The use of visuals to create an "I can" attitude helps the students and the instructor.

In the context of this section, the voice is distracting. However, familiar melodies can be great when used in a way similar to mnenomics. Hyrdrocarbons can be pronouced to the tune of the "Irish Washerwoman." The quadratic equation can be sung to "Pop, Goes the Weasel."

Using color handouts is a simple way to improve the learning environment. I use different colors for informational handouts, exercises, PowerPoints, etc.

After reading this unit, I can clearly be using many more of these techniques than I now utilize. I do currently now employ learner-oriented seating patterns, even when it involves the moving of various tables and chairs that are typically arranged in rows. I tend to under-utilize "creative supplies" unless it is related to a specific project. I am markeldy intrigued with the idea of using music - I have read about this before but not yet tried it in my own classrooms - and I believe this module has motivated me to do so.

The need to change the classroom atmosphere is very important. The use of colors, seating changes and creativity helps with inspiration. Think about when you rearrange the rooms in your home. this give me a feeling of positive change, mood and accomplishment.
Paul Zdanis

It would be wonderful to use these items in my teaching but again, as an adjunct instructor it is difficult to haul everything. Also, in most cases, the school itself sets up the structure of the classrooms, the types of chairs/desks we use, and the classroom layout. I do think the colored paper and music is a great idea but again, that would be a decision the school would have to make as far as if they would allow it or not.

I use color when I copy packets so that the students can easily locate current information. I also coordinate the color with the topic of the packet to help students remember or identify key objectives.

There are many ways to improve the learning environment of your classroom.
When I teach my science classes, I have the seats arranged in groups of 3-5 chairs/tables so students can work in groups AND still interact with other groups. I also use fun and interesting materials to teach tough topics to keep the students interested and engaged (ex: I use playdoh to show students how rocks can be deformed).
-James Moore

Sign In to comment