Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I have posters of the equipment we will be learning about. they are in color and invite questions from the students.

The first thing I am going to try is adjusting the color of student handouts. Also, I have considered adjusting the lights more often during lectures, when a powerpoint presentation is used.

I changed the seating of my classroom from rows facing towards the front to a U shaped several months ago. It has had a very positive effect on the classroom environment. It enables me to walk around the classroom, the students to engage in productive discussions, and has enabled me to take advantage of all areas of the room. We can face foward or back, depending on if we are looking at the whiteboard or powerpoint presentation.

You can be very creative in incorporating a multi-sensory environment into the teaching of a course in the hospitality industry. Music is used for productivity increase and positive climate. Light is used for identifying the transition from a class atmosphere to a professional location. Colors and charts are used to compare and describe cooking temperatures. Colorful drawings are posted to remind students the proper attire policies or sanitation regulations to follow. The three ways people prefer to learn is used all the time in the kitchen with a preference to kinesthetic activities since it is an hands-on training by trade.

In my type of environment it is very difficult as it is a kitchen learning environment as a result for safety issues it is very important that the students focus on what is happening around them at all times.

Our sitting is instructor up front with a LCD TV screen above where students can watch up close or at the TV visual aid. Their work stations are situated by stoves so as they have easy accessibility. Creative supplies are always supplied in order for the students success in the form of ingrediants

Color, and visuals are extremely important in our classroom, due to the nature of the industry. Lectures, demo's and other forms of instruction utilize this as a tool by example. The students are then encouraged to build on that example, within the framework of the exercise, to create appealing visuals.

Great Betsy!

I've always found that u-shaped or classes in the round are much more conducive to student learning and participation. It provides a different type of connection between other students as well as the instructor.

Keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

In the past I have not used music in the classroom because of the extra noise of the exhaust fans, etc. that our classroom creates.
I do like the idea of setting the mood of different day parts.
I also need to consider the when and what type of music that is played

I teach in an online environment, so seating and music are not relevant for me. I do, however, incorporate the use of color and visuals during my chat sessions with students. I also use motivational quotes throughout each course, and I believe this helps to stimulate interest and keep the students involved.

I agree I am not allowed to use music or colors so I use my training aids and creative supplies as well as or rooms are sponsored by employers so there is alot of their colors and designs around the room

Actually, as an online instructor I do use color and visuals with using Powerpoint Presentations during each chat. Colors grab attention, and help students to zone in on what is presented before them. Depending on the individual students' learning style using visuals and colors may be most beneficial. Seating is not applicable for me in my online classroom setting. With regard to music, I have attempted to use music during my chats but have been unsuccessful however, it is still an idea that I am going to make happen. Overall, using color, visuals, creative supplies, and music helps students moods, it can be calming, or instill excitement, grab attention and focus, and also excitement in the learning environment. I believe this is applicable to both online and traditional classroom settings with exceptions.

I have always used visuals, colors and creative supplies in the classroom. I do hands-on projects often and when I do, I supply the class with colored paper, markers, poster paper, colorful pictures cut from magazines, etc. Sometimes for added fun, we use glue and glitter to complete the projects.
With regard to seating, I mix that up at times. I do it to refresh the class. Sometimes simply sitting in a different seat provides a new perspective, keeping the students more involved. Also, if the class is working on a project in small groups or in pairs it gives them an opportunity to work with different people instead of the same person/people all the time.
I haven't used music, but it is something, after having taken this class, I would consider.

Great Susan! Online is not an easy environment.

Good work!

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

Hi David!

Adding color and a few special touches can make a big difference in the feel of a classroom.

I'm interested in your comment about "rooms sponsored by employers". How does this work?

Good job!

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

Well, I do stress color and it's importance when cooking food and composing a plate. The color discussion is daily.

I will be considering the seating or grouping arrangements for my students to keep them from forming informal "teams" that tend to allow students to over-simplify their work. Some students really want to break up tasks amongst their informal work group in order to get their work done quickly rather than effectively.

in the kitchen we use, verbal commands, touch, smell, and sound to dtermine the effects of our technique

That sounds like an effective idea.

It would be wonderful to incorporate music into the learning environment, however I think that the use of music would be dictated by administrative policy.

I have used different colored paper and supplies with some moderate success. I use yellow for lecture notes, blue for quizzes and exams and white for administrative paperwork.

Deborah Balentine

Jason, you have the perfect opportunity for a multi-sensory learning environment. I'm not sure that I could stand to be in a cooking class!?!?!?! The good smells would be much to distracting.

Keep up the good work!

Jane Davis
ED107 Facilitator

I teach culinary arts and the majority of these factors do not come into play on a daily basis. For my purposes I will utelize different colored dry erase markers during lecture with the white board to better emphasize the content and assisgments.

Sign In to comment