Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

asking too many questions

I have a student who asks too many questions-and not in a good way. I am starting to think she does this to manipulate and control the class. Any suggestions on how to trim the questions down?

I say the old please let other students answer some questions.

Hi Brenda, I would suggest that you discuss her question after class. Best wishes for continued success in your teaching career.

Susan Polick

I have had a similar situation; of course, I would like to be able to answer every question of every student, but that is not realistic. When I have a student who asks many questions, I give a period of time at the end of the class for Q&A. I would ask the students to write down any question during the lecture time and hold off all questions until the end of the class. Additionally, the students can see me after class or e-mail me questions.

I would ask the students as a whole that they need to ask questions and take turns and they will be alotted a certain amount of time to ask questions

I agree with you. You should not let one or two students take over your class, its obvious that the other students do not understand the subject and why they are not participating.

When I have a student who asks many questions, I would acknowlege the student's input for first class. However, students who waste class time for personal questions, I would set class rules for the students to write down any question during the lecture time and hold off all questions until the end of the class.  Additionally, the students can see me after class or e-mail me questions.

@hammit39

Personally, I think you take control by asking all the questions.  I usually will allow a student one question and then move to another student.  If the questioning is getting out of hand, I give them an assignment related to the questions.  I love proprofs because I can come up with an assignment in minutes.

@hammit39 don,t let her to manipolate you and class. always be nice and triy to answer her questions in a way you convince class not her.

I try to determine why the students number of quetions is higher than other students.  If it is attention seeking behavior with no real relevance to the subject matter, that is handled after class in one to one discussion.  If the student has anxiety about the subject matter and questions posed reflect that they are in fear that they haven't understood the content, a non-graded assignment or worksheet might be helpful.  If the student has great and relevant questions that should or could stimulate group discussion I allow two to three questions then remind the student of consideration for everyone's learning experience. 

@hammit39 Challenge the learner with open questions. Let the learner draw their own conclusions and guide them to the correct answer. I've recently started asking the class "who wants to be the first one to give me a question?" This gives other learnes a chance to ask questions at their comfort level and not make them feel like a target and shut down. This is by no means a replacement method to get them to reacall information on their own. I still ask open/closed end questions.

@hammit39

I believe there is a place for all sorts of instructional techniques to help students learn content: lecture, group activity, peer-to-peer interaction, and student evaluations. Without knowing the technique you use when the student disrupts with questions, would it help to conduct more small-group or peer-to-peer activities? Perhaps that way, the disruptive student would not hold up the entire class at once, and perhaps a hands-on activity would give her opportunities to try out answers.

Is there anything wrong with stating to the student in private and in the class setting that you appreciate his or her questions but in all fairness to all learners each student must be mindful not be the dominate contributor to class discussion?  Establish a few guidelines for class participation.  In future classes, it would be wise to establish these rules on the first day of class. All are expected to contribute.  With the provision of a class participation rubric, students can modify and regulate their behaviors to enhance participation.  Dominating the class discussion is graded negatively while listening actively and contributing for the benefit of the group and understanding is graded positively.  Inactivity is also graded negatively as many classroom environments are student- constructed knowledge environments.

@hammit39 I will tell the student that we must move on and to see me after class I can spend some time with them to answer all of their questions, In the mean time write them down as not to forget.

Allow the class to respond to the students question which expands the dialogue thoughout the class.@hammit39

Learning is a process and teaching is a process, too.

@hammit39

If your student is trying to manipulate / control the class try this. Redirect the questions to your other students. Soon the other students will handle the problem student. Peer pressure is a subtle but sometimes effective classroom control method.

Terry

If it becomes an issue where it is one student trying to take over the class by asking too many questions, at some point, I do ask that they write their questions down. I let them know that probably the answer will be covered through the lecture and allow time at the end for additional questions. I also encourage them to use the technology they have available to them. Many times, if they ask a question that I know they can find the answer to on their own, I will ask if they have a smart phone. Then I tell them to look it up and come back to them and let them share it with the class as well as where they found the information. This helps shift from instructor centered to student centered learning and collaborative environment.

@polick I also believe if a student is minopolizing the classroom with her personal questions the student needs to be reminded that other students should be allowed to ask questions

@Delzora

It depends on the cause as to how to best handle the situation. It is true it can be disruptive if it is not addressed. I will sometimes talk to the student privately and tell them that it's good they are asking questions but to honor everyone's time we need to move forward. I agree with asking the students to write down their questions and leaving a place for question and answer time at the end of class. Then it is good to allow everyone to ask their questions and give each person a chance instead of letting one person monopolize the class time. Then working with that student in a one on one environment will give them the extra attention they need.

Sign In to comment