Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Denisa,
I wish you continued success with your efforts. I know you are going to make a real impact on the lives and career development of your students.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I recently starting listing daily objectives for my students. I found that this made the class management more efficient and once completing the lecture and lab assignments we were went back and looked at those objectives and were able to review and check them off as something they completed. I see much more of the students engaged and focused as I have learned to develop daily plans and goals to accomplish.

Vanessa,
This is a good way to keep students current with the progress of the class and what is being covered at what time. This is the a good example that will be of help to other instructors, especially those that are just starting their teaching careers. Thank you for sharing this.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Having clear goals and objectives eliminates the "Am I Doing This Right?" concern that many students have. They will know if they are doing something right because they will have the measurable goals and objectives there for them to evaluate themselves by. In addition, it shows learners what the purpose is behind a particular class and how it will benefit them and how it aligns to their personal goals and objectives.

having clear goal and objective make more easy my lecture and lab. Students need to see that the instructor is confident on his knowledge and skills. I can't show the right road if I don't clear where I am going to.

Antonio,
With the plan you have for your classes and how you explain your expectations you will earn their respect and then rapport will be developed. This is where the enjoyment of teaching comes in because you will have engaged learners that are seeing you as their learning leader.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

The goals and objectives are very clear for my course, which makes developing the curriculum that much easier.

Good Afternoon.... clear goals and objectives equates to confidence. With clear goals and objectives a student will sense that the instructor is not only knowledgeable about the course content but confident in the ability to teach it....confident and comfortable enough to be able to articulate the knowledge so each student will comprehend and process the information effectively. Every student needs to be able to clearly see the results of each goal, of each objective.

It is important because it sets course level expectations. It paints a path for students, providing just enough information for students to know what they can accomplish upon completing the course and potentially why that is important. It gives the course magnitude and direction.

Donna,
Clear and understandable goals and objectives are a must. The enable students to see where the course is going and why it is going the direction it is. Plus, they reduce student anxiety because they show students what they need to know as they move through the course so they don't have be concerned about what is going on. It is clearly laid out in the goals and objectives.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Carlos,
Right you are about clear goals and objectives setting course expectations. This way the students focus their efforts on meeting the course expectations and thus reaching the goals and objectives that have been set. This is a win win situation for everyone.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Clear goals & objectives allow students to have a clear understanding of what the course content is, what they are expected to learn as a result of taking the course, as well as a guide to continually evaluate if they are learning the required material.

Kristiin,
Well said and right on in terms of expectations.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

It is important to have clear goals and objectives in the course because it will help the students understand the objective of the class as well as guide them in completing their course successfully.

John,
So true. Without them the class will have no direction and the students will be confused and anxious. Clear goals and objectives gets everyone on the same page and moving forward.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

This process of working backward from where one wants the students to be at the end of the program helps me see more clearly how I want to plan the course. Thanks for this insight.

Clear goals and objectives I feel not only allow the students to know up front what they will be learning and what they will experience but also as an instructor for us to make sure we are meeting those expectation. It is easy to get off track both student and instructor so the goals and objections should be reviewed continually to ensure you are doing what you said you would. This will help the students trust in you as the instructor/institute that you kept your word to what they signed up for.

Jennifer,
Good model to follow as it gives you a format to work through as you reverse engineer your instructional planning.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Developing clear goals and objectives provides an opportunity to divide the course into logical units and organize the general goals into specific objectives. Goals and objectives provide a clear guide to the concepts that will be covered in the course. Goals are the general indicators, where the objectives indicate what the student should be able to do after completing different sections in the course.

The student needs clear goals and objectives for the following reasons: 1) Planning purposes, a method to estimate how much time and effort the course will take 2)Feasibility, a way to evaluate whether or not success is likely and to reconsider attempting the course if more preparation is needed 3) Lawyer purposes, so that there is a written record of what is coming

Sign In to comment