Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Peter,
Without clear goals and objectives the course is going to go off the tracks and a wreck will occur in terms of student satisfaction and outcomes.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Clear goals and objectives help the instructor stay focused on delivery of full course content, and also allows students to know in advance what will be covered in the course.

Holli,
Without them students will be confused and frustrated. They need clear and concise goals and objectives to follow so they can stay focused on the content being shared and what the expectations of the course are.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

To show students what is important and focus on achieving that goal

Betty,
What are some ways you have had success in doing this?
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I think it is important to have clear goals and objectives because it gives the students and teachers a clear understanding of what is expected from both parties.

After talking with my students, I also like to leave room to adjust the goals and objectives in case I need to add or alter something to address a need or skill that they want to learn.

Rico,
This approach is so important because you are letting them know what the expectations are and how they can meet those expectations if they will put forth the effort. This reduces their frustrations and questions about what they need to do in the class.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

It helps me as an instructor to be clear with the students on what I expect of them .

Having goals, objectives and even calendars inform the students what will be covered and taught throughout the period. For me, it allows me to prepare in advance and if we get ahead of schedule, material to continue teaching instead of wondering what I should do next.

Gyula,
Without clear goals and objectives the course can go off in many different directions which means that the students won't receive the education they need.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Alfonso,
Good comments about the value of having clear goals and objectives as well as good planning. This sets the stage for learning success.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

As an instructor, it is important to have clear goals and objectives for a course in order to stay on track, teach everything that needs to be taught, and make sure the students are understanding and learning the content. While it is very easy to get tangental and lose focus, if the instructor has clear goals and objectives firmly stated in the course outline and/or lesson plan, he/she can reference that to get right back on track so that the students get the knowledge and skills they need to be successful.

Megan,
The goals and objectives are the rails upon which the courses glides. By making sure they are clear and concise the students will see what they are going to learn and then know when they have covered the content within the goals and objectives.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

It is vital to have clear goals and objectives for your course as that is what a student should gain from taking the class. The more precise and specific they are, the greater the chance that one has to identify, understand, move toward and then achieve.

Sharon,
Right you are in relation to clear and concise goals and objectives. Without them the class will be adrift and students will be frustrated since they won't know what they expectations are.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

As well as goals for the course, at what point should I ask my students their career goals for the field that they are in? Is that something we could discuss right away or once they have learned more about their field of study?

Kayla,
I ask my students right away because their responses give me an idea of how realistic their aspirations are as well as any misperceptions they may have about the field. Gives me a great starting point upon which to build my instructional content and delivery.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Having clear goals for the Instructor and student allows the course and class to progress easier, with the ability to understand what is expected of the student and what the student is expecting from the instructor.

Maria,
Clear goals are essential if students are going to stay focused for the entire course. Everyone needs to be on the same page and going in the same direction if the same destination is going to be achieved.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

So that both the students and instructor know hwat is expected of them in the weeks to come.

Sign In to comment