Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

William,
If this is not done at the beginning of the course then both the instructor and the students will be wondering exactly where the course is going. They need to be on the same page.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Ive also noticed in my classes that if the student dont have a clear objective or directive they often will not do the work. They dont ask or clarity they just set it down and walk away, because with confusion comes lack of passion. If a student has no passion or want to complete tasks they often wont. If they dont want to complete an assignment they will take up any reason not to do it all. Also confusion with the instructions makes it easy for students to remove them selves from the active learning process.

Misty,
Good point about how we must offer our students clear goals and objectives. They need to know where the course is going and how they can be successful within the course. If we don't they will be drifting just as you mention.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Developing Clear Goals and Objectives help the facilitator & students visualize what is best for them, also clear goals keep students focus and interested in the lesson.

Harold,
Good point and one that is critical in instructional planning. This is how everyone gets on the same page which results in the establishment of an effective learning community.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Developing clear goals and objectives will allow the students to see what they are expected to learn and be able to perform at the end of the course. It also serves as a study guide for students and a checklist for instructors to ensure that all objectives were met during the lesson and the course.

Having clear goals and objectives take a lot of pressure off of the instructor. As a new instructor, I have experienced not having precise goals and objectives. This brought a lot of unncessary confusion with students not having realistic expectations of the class. So needless to say, I now define the expectations beforehand so no one is in question.

Jelitza,
All good points about clear goals and objectives. They are a must if students are going to know what the expectations and requirements of the course are and how to be successful in the course.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

NaKeta,
Thank you for sharing your story with us. You have reinforced the value of having clear and concise goals and objectives for your students to review and understand.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Having clear Goals and objectives enables me to communicate more accurate with the class and enable me to be able to evalauate myself

Tommy,
Without clear goals and objectives it is impossible to be the learning leader of the class. The students need to see and understand where the class is going and what the outcomes are. Your comments are right on in terms of the value of have clear goals and objectives.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I plan to develop clearer goals for myself, as well as my students for the next 6 week term, aside from those given on the syllabus. This will let the students know that this is not just a job for me, but something I have clearly given thought to and spent time developing, thus showing a genuine concern.

Julie,
A great message to send your students. I know these instructional efforts are going to pay off for you and your students.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Goals and objectives lay out a clear plan of what will be accomplished and how it will be accomplished, giving students a structured environment in which to learn.

Carole,
Without them the students do not know where the course is going. They need to be clear and concise so everyone is on the same page in terms of course outcomes.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Along with teaching at a career school, I also substitute in middle and high schools. Many of the schools have adopted a system where the objectives of the lesson are posted each day. There may be a general objective for the section and a daily objective. In some schools, the students are expected to copy these in their notes as soon as they enter the room. The general idea is that it informs them of what is on tap and gives them in insight into what they will do that day.

From a teacher's point of view, this does require the instructor to consider each lesson, what they want to accomplish and how it fits into the course as a whole.

Francis,
This sounds like a good plan to follow as it informs the learners what is going to occur and where the class is going that day. This is a sound educational practice to follow at any level.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Students gain an immediate understanding of what is expected and won't be surprised later in the course with unexpected objectives.

Arthur,
Goals and objectives are the indicators of direction that the course is going to go. They also peak interest since they cover the competencies that will be achieved by course end.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Clear goals and objectives help to keep the students on track throughout the course. They also help when you are advising the students.

Susan

Sign In to comment