Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Developing Clear Goals and Objectives

What is it important to have clear goals and objectives for your course?

It is really important because it reduces confusion and frustration on both sides. If the students know exactly what to expect from the course/instructor they are better prepared and there are no surprises later.

Rosa,
You won't know when you have arrived if you don't know the destination. This is why clear goals and objectives are so important. Good point.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

It is important to have clear goals and objectives, because it puts the class in motion. It states clearly where you are going as a class. It doesn't leave room for surprises, as stated. This also allows for structure to take place in a classroom. It shows you have a road map, and know where you're going.

I like to explain to my students that the "Objectives" area is good if you ever want to summarize what we learned in the classroom/course. It's your measuring tool of whether or not you've obtained credit in that course.

The student need to know what I expected from them and what they can expect from me. If I am clear and concise there will be little room for confusion.

Goals and objectives should go hand-in-hand. If the goal is to Start a car; need to ensure the objective(s) match the goal, by listing the steps to perform the function. Avoid confusion.

Wendy,
Right you are. Clear and concise goals illustrate the sequence of objectives and everyone can see what is to be covered and accomplished.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Dr. Meers,

Clear goals and objectives help to guide the discussion, activities and lecture with clarity and focus. With clear goals and objectives, an agreement has been reached concerning what we plan to accomplish. This unifies class and connects the instructor with the students in that we are aware of our collective focus. Unclear goals and objectives lead to chaos because they leave too much room open for distraction which leads to boredom in some cases. I have also noticed that some students are frustrated and confused. I have experienced this in one of the classes that I taught.

Cleveland Sigh

Cleveland,
Clear goals and objectives are the guide posts for the course. They map out where the course is going to go and what is going to be learned in the process. Without them as you say there will be chaos and a high level of student frustration. There is no reason for this to occur with some good planning and preparation.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Not only are goals and course objectives important but cannot always be just generic. Effort needs to be taken to tailor then to the class your dealing with thats why is so important to get that handle on your students.

Karl,
I agree about the need for specific goals and objectives for the courses. This is how you stay on course and keep your students progressing toward their career goals.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

So that the students will have a clear understanding of what is expected of them during the course. It also allows the student to measure their own progress during the course.

Robert,
From the first class meeting students need to know what the polices, expectations and requirements are for the course. With clear goals and objectives the mystery for course success is gone and the focus on learning can begin.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

need to have clear objectives, more tailoring to subject matter.

George,
Without clear objectives you and your students don't know where the class is heading.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

It is important to ensure that the student comprehends the course guidelines and material, in order for the student to get a clean understanding of what is expected for the class.

Clear goals and objectives ensure teachers plan lessons that meet student expected outcomes.

Curtis,
This is so important if you are going to get the course started off with everyone on the same page. Clear goals and objectives reduce frustration and anxiety and helps to focus the students on the course content.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Having clear goals and objectives allows the students to know exactly what the teacher expects. This prevents students becoming frustrated and upset during class, which leads to loss time learning and less time studying. Students who know that quizzes are on this day and homework is due this day know that they can expect this to always happen, which gives them a chance to plan around that.

Clear objectives also mean that students know WHAT they have to learn and if they haven't, they can ask the instructor if there is a reason they haven't learned it. Most students want to learn and will do the work necessary to earn the grade.

I review my objectives the first day of class, then continue to provide reinforcement throughout the class by discussing it in class briefly or posting it through announcements for students. They learn quickly that if they have a question, they can review an announcement first and if it isn't there, they can ask. It reduces work on my part as well.

Melannie,
This is such an important part of instructional planning. Clear and concise goals and objectives help the students to get settled into the course and focused on how they can successfully meet all of the requirements. This helps them to become engaged and focused on the course to come.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment