Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

disrespect

How do you deal with students with no seens of respect? I try so hard to be a good teacher but how do you show face with the other students when you are disrespected in class time and time again and you think you are doing the right thing by removing them from the class but due to the retension quota the next day their they are again. I fell hopeless and when i talk to my superiors they make me feel like it is my fault. They say it is my inexperience which is causing the tension but i have never had a job where i get disrespected and cursed at almost on a daily basis and no one is held accountible. I am starting to think it is me! I don't think anyone regardless of $$ or job title should have to deal with this on a daily basis. Fortunately, the rest of the class is a pleasure and i will continue to work hard on becoming a better instructor for all students and hopefully make a differents.

You need to call them out in class and point blank ask them why they feel the way they do. Be ready to take a verbale hit or two but also try and turn there words around on themselves.

what do you mean by a verbal hit?

Hi Sarah,
You are in a very challenging setting. Sounds like you have tried several different approaches with little success. I would encourage you to work with your central office on just what is expected of you and your students. There is the issue of how student behavior impacts other students. The students that have behavior issues should not be allowed to impede the learning of other students, not to mention the respect issue.
Keep your positive attitude about being a teacher. You may also want to explore moving your teaching abilities to another site at some time in the future.
Gary

Sara,
Try to look at this from the students eye he/she might have come from another class where the instructor was the over confident type and forced there rules/views on the student. the student is just in a somewhat offencive mode now.
I'm a new instructor but a good lesson I was showed was to pick your battles not all the students want to be here don't let them open you up wave that student off and go on with the class at hand and when the troubled student needs the hand of help they sometimes / sometimes will respond in a better way after that

god luck

While I agree that you must make every effort to "put yourself in their shoes" - You must also try (privately if possible) to determine the SOURCE of the disrepectful attitude. Oft times it is posturing for the benefit of their peers, as they wish to show they are "part of the group". Other times, it is a form of "venting frustration" in what they know to be a to safe place - with little chance for reprisal. They also know what retention means to us - so they feel thay can get away with it. While you don't want to humiliate them in front of the group you DO need to make it clear that you will use wahtever means are available to you (i.e. grades, parental contact, temporary suspension etc.) to obtain the necessary level of performance you require. Their bad behaviour is usually detrimental to the entire class. I often (privately) advise trouble makers that their own class mates are complaining to be about their actions.

Hi Albert,
Well said. Thank you for your comments about student behavior. They can't be allowed to ruin the class for others that want to learn.
Gary

Hello Colleagues;

I have been a professor for over 20 years and I've had my share of disrespectful students (under 10).

A couple of things have helped me through the years. First, I never let the student see fear on my part. Easier said than done: this takes years of practice. Second, I don't take things too personally. The student may be bothered by other factors. Third, I reprimand in private whenever possible. Fourth, I make use of my various school support systems(Dean, Student Affairs etc.) In 100% of the cases, I had the support of my Dean. Lucky me.

Sooner or later a student is going to give you a hard time. Our institutions expect us to behave professionally and that's what we should do even if the student behaves unprofessionally. I know it's hard but we should strive to do our best. And that's my humble opinion.

Hi Professor Dean,
Well said. Yes, every instructor will have difficult students at one time or another. The key is just what you mentioned--How will the instructor cope with that student?" You give four things that will be of help to many new instructors I am sure.
Thank you for sharing.
Gary

hi sarah,
first of all. you have touched one of my pet peeves when teaching, especially young people who come unprepared from their usual environments.
it is my strong opinion that i should not automatically get personal respect from any student who has not studied for long in my class. respect is something which needs to be earned, it does not come with the job.
however, what is lacking across our classrooms are proper manners and disciplin. these should be guided by common sense and will normally be supported by anybody involved.

Because respect means alot to me and I donot want to be disrespected I start from day one showing my students respect.If I forget a name I address them as sir or ma (a holdover from my U.S.M.C. days) If they have a question or a comment about the lesson I listen and aknowledge its importance or relervance. I let the students know IM here to help them suceed in their chosen field and thats my job.Using this method of giving respect first I have noticed that about the third day students are truning in their work and calling me sir. And for that 1 student that seems to have somthing against you a private conversation is the best way to clear that up.ALWAYS STAYING PROFESSIONAL GET THE STORY ABOUT WHAT IS REALLY GOING ON IN HIS OR HER LIFE.And how they can put it behind them and go on to success.

Thanks, Robert! Great comments! Respect = Respect and sometimes a side bar conversation with a student is the best action when there is a perceived challenge. When I have had those challenging, private conversations, I have found that if I talk about what I have observed, as opposed to how I feel, it gives the student the chance to respond and sometimes immediately clears any misperceptions on either part. If further discussion is needed, it at least sets a platform for getting to the root of the problem.

Jay Hollowell
MaxKnowledge/CEE

I am not a teacher, I counsel students. Many times students have other things going on in their lives that they just can't separate from and bring that with attitude to school. They are not prepared mentally or academically to succeed in school and expects others to respect them without hesitation. I encourage students to lay everything out on the table and find the real reason why they can't get respect or give respect to others.

Hi Lauraine,
Good advice. As you say many students aren't ready to move to the next level of success due to things that are influencing their lives. What have you found to be the biggest factors in getting the students to start respecting themselves and others?
Gary

I found that students aren't willing to respect others or themselves due to choices. We all a make choices good or bad.

Hi Lauraine,
The key is what we do with the choices we make. If we make poor choices we have to live with the consequences and benefit from the experience. Our students need to see the value of making the right choices concerning their career development.
Gary

Sign In to comment