Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Instructional Strategies for Students with PTSD | Origin: ED130

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Teaching Students with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder --> Instructional Strategies for Students with PTSD

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

It is good to review stategies for assisting students with PTSD and TBI to be comfortables and confident in the classroom

This module is helpful in reminding me that all cases and causes of PTSD and TBI are wide in range and effect.  Being flexible with the needs of each student is of the utmost importance.

This module helps to know how to support students withPTSD and TBI.It tells for the best performance they need trust, communication, also the instructioNallo guidance.

The strategies that were provided seemed very easy to implement. Many of the stragtegies were strategies that could benefit other students as well, not just students with PTSD or TBI's. 

"Good teaching is good teaching no matter who the students are or what content is being shared."  This is a great topic sentence for this section.  The continued emphasis of the teacher to understand that a lot of the day-to-day things (greeting at the door, consistency, etc.) make a huge impact.

I have learned alot thus far and been reminded of more. Sometime we fade out of the things we should be doing. The is a helpful reminder.

That there are specific practices that an instructor can

follow that will assist people with TBI/PTSD succeed

as students.

Most of these strategies actually apply to general educational best practices and are already being applied. 

I am a counselor so the importance of building rapport is one of the most important components when dealing with anyone. Especially someone who has gone through such trauma. 

I appreciate the discussion of the importance of building rapport with students. I don't think it matters if it's students with PTSD or TBI, but all students deserve to know us and to be appreciated by us. That is the foundation upon which learning communities are developed. It's not simply a matter of transmitting knowledge, but creating a positive learning experience.

While there is a lot of good information here, I wish it was just considered best practices, not something special or above and beyond that we are doing for this particular group of people. Also, I work in a high school with kids that have PTSD from their childhoods/current living situations. It would be interesting to see more strategies on how to help those students as well. Not just vetrans.

As a CTE Teacher, you may at times need to demonstrate how to do what is being taught, and physical touch is required. During times like this, it is important to communicate with students with PTSD prior to the demonstration to make sure they are comfortable with being shown. In CTE classrooms loud noises may also become triggers for Students with PTSD, so encouraging them to advocate for themselves and self-disclose their Disability prior to entering the classroom. 

The strategies discussed I have already incorporated into my delivery.  I did a literature search on the use of music in the classroom and if the music has to have a direct linkage to the learning outcomes.  It does not. Therefore, the students (both on ground and virtually) are met with music or a music video (Kool and the Gang Celebration) to congratulate them on their accomplishments.  Students have indicated that this small gesture helped relieve their stress and thought she must be okay.  I take time to gain rapport and I have learned to be cool with my posture or the students say swagger. 

I learned that the military folks are coming from an action-based platform which is different than a slower pace of instructional delivery. I also learn that the arrangement of the classroom is a challenge with the aisle being filled with backpacks.  I can relate as a psychiatric nurse I am uncomfortable being in a classroom with one exit and the exit is behind me.  I can imagine how the military vet must feel as we always survey the environment for the way out.  

In terms of implementation, I will continue my practices and have better insight into communication strategies that work.  Lastly, I always ask the class their definition of respect and how can I  demonstrate respect, as each generation is different.  This is a fun activity and sets the tone that we are in a partnership.  I can adapt based on students' needs, thus student centricity. 

Reply to Sandra Walston's post:Hello Sanda.  Thank you for your post.  We have to remember that to get to best practices we have to engage in discussions like this and insights.  I agree we need more strategies, but the best strategy is kindness.  This simple concept have been removed from the fabric of our society.  With the large class sizes it is hard to meet those students at the lower levels to give individual attention and support.  

The PTSD resources were very good to have.  

I loved how we can simply structure our class to help them by greeting them individually, starting the class with the same routine, breaking up the activities so they stay engaged, etc...

I'm not sure dogs would work in a nursing program, but I've seen support dogs at the hospital (for patients AND for staff) and they are amazing. 

Providing more rapport, support and attention to their needs with the PTSD and TBI students will enhance their participation and success in school.

This module has reminded me to be intentional when dealing with students suffering with PTSD or TBI. The resources have also been helpful to me personally

The strategies mentioned in this module no only help PTSD and TBI students, but every student in the class. Respect, dedication, and understanding the learning abilities of each one as an individual. A respectful and friendly enviroment will enhance the learning experience. 

This module emphasized the importance of viewing each student as an incididual.  All students in the class would benefit from this practice.

Sign In to comment