Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Placement Programs

It is essential for students to understand the importance of the degree they are trying to obtain and what the job market looks like in the real world for that degree. Are there going to be jobs available? If so, where are they and how much are they going to pay? That is what a student wants to know also.

Students should be encouraged to research their fields of interest. By researching students can find out opportunities in their chosen field of study, salaries, and also the requirements.

I agree. It is important for students to know what level of schooling they will need to be qualified for a particular job, but I also provide a list of both the hard and soft skills necessary to perform a particular job.

For example, to be a successful probation officer a candidate must know the law, methods of treatment, and court procedure. Equally, as successful probation officer will have the soft skills of being empathetic, a good listener, and compassionate. I have the students do a self evaluation for a number of jobs to show themselves what they are good at and what they might want to work on.

What I struggle with is some learners should not be in a 4-year institution. They should be in a skill or trade school. Trying to retain them in the 4-year environment may do more harm than good.

I agree. Placement is so much apart of retention and success because basically thats why students are there. They want to know that they are not waisting thier time and that they have good opportunities. They also want to hear from those who have completed the program and have successfully found employment.

At our Campus the students meet the Placement department on the first day. Very early in the program we start with career success, resume writing, practice interviews and job search skills. We help build interest and motivation from the beginning and continue this by inviting successful graduates to speak to the classess and well planned field trips throughpout the course.

Researching the field is so important. This should be encouraged during the admissions process. When a student enroll and is well informed about the field they understand how and where they fit in. Its important that they have knowledge abiout the industry they are pursuing, this will eliminate unreal expectations which could impact retention in a negative way.

I could not agree more. That is the real prize for the vast majority of students.

I agree. Job placement is a huge factor in student retention. Students want to know if they will have a job after graduation.

I agree. Students come to school to learn skills that will better their lives.

They come to school to get an education in order to enter a career... their dream job. In fact, 96% of your students don't want to be in school. They go, because they believe you can help to achieve a career goal.

Dr. B

My Financial Aid team meets with every new enrollment. What I have found is that majority of the students don’t really know what they want for a career. I have heard over and over again is “the degree looks interesting or this degree can just get my foot in the door at my place of employment”. To me that is heart breaking. I encourage the student to meet with our Career Services Department to discuss the job opportunities out there so they have a better understand of what they are feeling passionate about.

Smart. Our school's placement department does not first interact with a student until the final month or so of the student's progression through the program. I wish that aspects of placement were peppered throughout the program from the very beginning, as I can see how the resume building and interviewing done with placement can dramatically impact a student's confidence in themself and in the hope of finding a job after graduation, thus giving them the certainty and focus they need to complete.

This is a key strategy. Remember, they come to school because they want their dream job.

Dr. B

True, if the know they are going to ble employed, they will have more positive reasons to stay in school

Sign In to comment