Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

School Activities

School activities should revolve around the student population and their needs

In our school, we have several planned student based activities. We have a number of Master Workshops on all manner of topics that pertain to our industry. We have had an all day Student Appreciation Day complete with food, activities, music and awards. One of our instructors has a third Thursday potluck meal at nearby picnic area. We also have a number of clubs that meet regularly. On the last day of classes for graduates, they are recognized by a parade through the halls in which other students cheer and congratulate them on.

I love the idea of master workshops. Sounds like you school is engaged in the right areas. Remember, the key is to build solid relationships.

Dr. B

The activities can be based on thier interests as well. I instruct at an automotive school. We have school sponsored drag races, car shows, manufacturer displayed open houses, and an open shop time when they can fix a car as well.

In fact, basing activities on interests helps! Anything that you can do to keep their vision in tact, helps.

Dr. B

We invite students to participate in Integrative Health Night. It brings East & West medicine together. Students have opportunities to socialize with other students, instructors, and the community. It is a great bonding activity.

How do you make these clubs successful? Some of the students on campus are here for a very short period of time and with all the other pressures in their lives, clubs have not been successful on our campus.

While we do a number of activities at our school that are directly related to the industries we serve, doing off campus activities such as motocross races and drag races seem to be very difficult due to legal issues emphasized by upper management.

I can imagine the legal issues. The key is to have events that encourage networking and build relationships. Make sense?

Dr. B

In trying to set up activities outside school the legal issues pile up very quickly. If they are done outside class time attendance can not be required. If we try to schedule during class time then we have to insure that all students on all shifts will have equal access to the event. This immediatly becomes a concern of transportation and access, entry fees etc. Even if we have onsite events then the balance must be made on effects of class time do to our rather full schedules.

true the activities can also be based in their intrests and their needs, by including them in such activities will also bond them with the school food drives and stuff like that will show the students that we care about their well being,while activities like drag races, bike shows and open houses shows that we can have fun and enjoy and promote the school and the field that the students are training for. the idea of an open shop sounds like an excelent way to show the students needs. my care broke and i cant afford to take it to the shop. i have the knoiwledge to fix it just not the place or tools to fix it. How am i going to get to school. or wow the school helped me out big time by providing me the chance to fix my car, now i'm not worried about getting to school now. for their intrests the school let me work on my car i realy like the cold air intake i installed this week end. sounds like a good idea for rention.

I also work for an automotive school that offers the same things. I find that the students who attend these activities on a regular basis are usually the more focused on campus.

I put them in study groups, then they tend to chose people they connect with, forcing some students to work with people they dont connect with is asking for trouble.

Students are the paying customers. Superb customer service is of paramount importance and is a strong contributor to retention.

You are right Jim. The key is to have activities to build relationships. A relationship equates to trust. So, try to do anything on campus to build relationships.

Dr.B

Good points, Roger. The key is to have activities that build relationships. Why? A relationship equates to trust.

Dr. B

Agree , it will show caring and motivation as well.
Will ensure more bonding between students and
staff.

We have numerous school activities at our school. One of the main issues we have is student participation.

Jessica,

Has anyone sought input from the students as to what would be of interest to them?

Ron Hansen, Ed. D.

there are some instructor that would bring a grill before a test or a major project to lighten the mood only for that class.

Sign In to comment