Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Student Preparation

I believe we need to help prepare the student more before they start class. Orientation is too late to find out what the schools policies are, to find a job and a place to live. We are working to be more pro-active 6 months out to educate the new student about the life skills needed to be successful as a student. They need to be aware of the schools polices, job opportunities, housing and budget needs. The future student would benifit from a checklist of items to make their transition into school life more positive. This early attention will result in a positive way for future retention.

Not only should we be applying this before admission, we also (as an instructor) continue to apply it while in class. For instance in my classes, I am constantly trying to remind them about lining up potential jobs upon graduation. Often times having to go over their resume with them in class, as well as reminding them about just making that call that might just alter the rest of their life.

I agree,the stress placed on a student by outside issues can effect there performance in the classroom. Allowed to build up they can result in negative results. Dealing with these issues in advance can help place the student on a path with less stress.

I encourage my students to get envolved as soon as possible with there career choice by voluntering there sevices.

How do you do this? Encourage is a good thing. Is there anything else you can do?

Dr. B

This is good stuff Tim. You are right, By orientation time it is too late. Students need to begin preparing months not days in advance. Students need an in home orientation well before the start of class that includes the things you speak of.

I agree, sometimes we see baggage that may have been adressed before the student made into the class'room.A student should be funded more than one class at a time,sometimes that effect's the students preformance in the class'room.This is all of our 's issue not just admission's we are a co. and need to adress and see what is best for our student on the front end of his ed ucation.

Good deal. So, do all that you can to change the process, deal?

Dr. Banks

Good... Take care to engage all staff at the front-end of admissions. Linkage is critical and linking all departments will improve retention.

Dr. B

If they are not ready by then, you will see concerns. when sales reps are talking to these people they need to let them know what is needed to survive, not just at school but in the real word. They need money till they find a job,and items like that.

I wish we could do this over a longer periodof time, but do to the business model and the fast track that the students are put on it is hard to slow down the process. One thing I think that would help is if our faculty could speak to potential students regarding just what it is they will need to be successful.

Many times retention is poor because of unrealistic expectations and lack of preparation for the life changes ahead. We could do a lot more by being involved in the process earlier.

You are right. The key is to link finance, academics and admissions so that all stories are the same.

Dr. B

Amen!!!! You've made an astounding point. Most student's coming into college do not have the life skills to be successful. My job is default prevention, and I preach the importance of financial literacy when student's begin their college career. I'm not just talking about telling them that the must repay their student loans, I'm talking about teaching them to balance and checkbook, and helping them understand that just because they have checks doesn't mean they have money. These same rules apply to retention. We MUST have a pro-active approch if we want our students to be successful.

Angie

I agree. It's not about telling the students once and expecting them to remember because they're adults. It about repetition and the students hearing the same information from everybody they come in contact with. Great, great point.

Angie

Another important point to retention. Help them to see that they can do it. Just need to have balance in all areas of their life.

Dr. B

Some say it takes 21 days to become habits. Also, they say it takes a min of 7 times, 7 different ways to make the point. So, yes, repeat, repeat and repeat.

Dr. B

Good point Tim. A prepared student is more likely to make it in his endevors because he knows what is and is not acceptable. Also to your point living away from home has a whole set of challenges that can sneek up on the student and parents.

as an instructor one of the roles is set an example and push your students to push themselves to new hieghts

Yes. And one way to do this is to link the concepts you teach to how the student will use the material in the workplace. Always link to career objectives.

Dr. B

Sign In to comment