Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

orientation..... or..... orientations!

I don't think that one is enough. I know it puts more work on the parties involved but there should be an option of when. The school might also come up with an orientation the student could do one line and get credit for, after all the kids now adays live online....and on phone(hahahaha)

Jeff--

Not as funny as you think. Students DO live online and there are schools that have organized an online orientation that allows them to track which students have 'read and processed' (based on questions to answer or assignments of sorts) who has really completed the work. Of course, this method doesn't allow for interaction with other students unless you set it up as a class and have someone facilitate it (e.g. discussion questions, etc.)

I also like your idea about multiple opportunities for students. Once size doesn't fit all, but we tend to do this for our convenience. Many good ideas get dropped because they are too much work!

Susan

At our school we hold two orientations a couple weeks before classes begin. We schedule half of the incoming freshmen class one day and the other half the next day. Although this is not written in stone should a student need to switch days due to a previous obligation, usually a work schedule conflict.

Maureen--

You didn't indicate how large the orientations are, but clearly splitting the class in half allows for more personal interaction.

What is the agenda for your orientations? Do the students get to interact with faculty/staff?

Susan

Freshmen Orientation has about 25 particpants each day - typically gather together for hand outs and schedules go over some points of interest in the hand outs - then they are split up to receive school ids and supplies from the book store.

Once together again they are orientated by the Director of Education - he will introduce the staff so everyone can put a face with the name.
From there everyone goes through Financial Aid and Bookkeeping to wrap up any outstanding paper work or debts.

I think both would be a good idea. It captures both those that live distance and those that are on campus. It would be ideal to have an online orientaion and then have the campus orientation with guidelines for attendance points.

Pamela--

That's a great idea. And frankly, if the students did the online version and then attended an on-ground orientation, the information provided could be much more interactive and personalized as they would have covered the 'standard' material.

Susan

These are great ideas Jeff. I agree fully. There should be at least 2 scheduled orientations and attending one should be required. I think availability online is a great idea too.

Sign In to comment