Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Getting to know your students

I have found that by learning their names the first noght of clas makes a big impression on the students.

Learning student names lets students know they are important. This also establishes respect between the instructor and student.

I teach an introductory class on College Success. I tell the students that in a kitchen class, they would be able to tell my "ability" by watching me cook, cut an onion, move in the kitchen. In a lecture class none of these occur or apply. But a part of the class I teach is memory, and I use learning their names as my "cutting the onion" demonstration that the techniques I teach work.

I teach an introductory class on College Success. I tell the students that in a kitchen class, they would be able to tell my "ability" by watching me cook, cut an onion, move in the kitchen. In a lecture class none of these occur or apply. But a part of the class I teach is memory, and I use learning their names as my "cutting the onion" demonstration that the techniques I teach work.

Kelly--

You are correct! Using their names really makes a positive impression and makes them feel that you care about them personally. Do you have some tips on learning their names quickly?

Susan

Personally I'm really bad with names. Fortunately, all of our students wear nametags and I have myself in the habit of glancing at the nametag of every student that I talk to....so even if I don't remember their name it seems as though I do... :)

I like your idea of name tags. I, too, have difficulty learning names unless I have a direct, 1:1, interaction with a person. Heck, I have difficulty getting my children's names right.

I tell my students not to take it personally, and this way they know my grading is not based on personality; however, I think I may suggest name tags as part of our student uniforms.

Laura--

I can relate on the children's names...my son was called by the dog's name occassionally :)

Name tags are a good idea, or name 'cards' they could sit on the desk regardless of where they sit.

Susan

Names & faces are hard to put together all at once. So I look them in the eyes & say thier name each time they aproach me. J.P.

John--

Great tactic. In addition to helping us remember their name, it gives them a good indication we are treating them as individuals.

Susan

I agree, getting to know your students first makes a huge impression. I have a great memory whereas, I review specific details that each student has provided to help me learn something unique about that individual. It's seems like a lot but I have learned that students develop a better relationship with the instructor due to leaning specific details.

Nicol--

That personal touch... remembering something specific about each individual...is a wonderful way to build those relationships and make each student feel like they belong. Great!

Susan

I use the first day of the new module to look over the rosters and mark my "new starts". then as I go over the rosters for attendance, I do my best to pronounce the students name correctly and verify the pronunceation of their name, sometimes I get it right and sometimes I don't, but this allows me to to put the face with the name up front and correct my pronunceation if I were incorrect. Thankfully, our students are required to wear Identification Badges.

I find that the correct pronunceation of the students name shows as a sign of respect, I do not call them by their first name as to me this is to personal, but by Mr. or Ms. (last name). I find that using this format keeps it on the formal and on an adult level.

Darrell--

Good points. I agree that pronouncing the students' names correctly is important. It is a sign of respect.

Susan

At the beginning of each quarter my goal is to know every student's name within the first two weeks. Students seem to respect an instructor who tries to identify them as an individual.

I too am bad with names so at first day of class ,
I tell them about my background both personal and professional then I ask each and every student to tell me about themselves such as why they are here, any hobbies,what they expect from this course and what ever they want to add. This gives them a sense that I too am human and approchable and hopeffully wont feel intimedated by me.

Arturo--

I like having students tell us information about themselves...hobbies, etc. It tends to make it more personal and I find it helps me remember them as well.

Susan

Learning the students names is definately very important, but I also use ice-breakers to get to know the students too. I include the usual things such as major and year of school, and I include fun things like what's your favorite food and what's the best movie you've seen lately and why. I am amazed at how quickly a class will bond over briefly discussing what they like to eat and watch for entertainment. It also helps me remember students as individuals.

Victoria--

You make a great point...talking about things that are 'fun' and non-threatening make a big difference. Sounds like a great exercise!

Susan

I just told my new faculty during their orientation that they need to know everyone's name by the end of the first week.

Sign In to comment