Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

first day orientation

I always prepare for the first day, I explain to the students the importance of the class and how it will relate to their first year working in the field. We talk openly about what I expect from them in class and they are able to also be open with me about what they expect to get from the class, I show credibility by explaining my experience level and success rate for students.
I believe that if a student shows me they have the desire to do the job that I can and will teach them what they need to know to be successful. If I am happy at what I do it shows and the students want to be there to learn.

Donald--

You are so right. That first day is critical. It sounds like you really do a great job setting the tone and making everyone feel welcome.

Susan

Don
True If we can show the students that we are prepaired for class on the first day it shows the students that we care about their being in class and since i feel the first day is probably the most important to set the stage on how the rest of the class will run

Roger--

The first day clearly sets the stage for the rest of the class. That is one reason why it is so important to set the expectations clearly.

Susan

The first day is most important, but also,being prepared EVERY day is important.If you are unprepared on any given day, it kinds of blows the whole deal.

The first day of orientation is the most important for the new student. All the course outlines and grading system should be clearly covered and all questions addressed. The student for the first will meet their instructors.Instructors should remember that first impression is also important.

Clive--

Sounds like you have a great plan. First impressions are important, and we need to be sure to prepare. It is amazing how often students make a decision on that first interaction!

Susan

The first day can be so nerve wreaking. With reentering an educational climate,to recieving rules and regulations,to speeches and new people,etc... WHEW!!! I have tried and failed,to create a 'preorientation day'. My campus precieves that idea,a'pie in the sky'. The first day of school would then be,the first day of learning. All nerves should be calmed,books in hand and the student well aware of what is expected of hin or her.

David--

I like your 'pre-orientation' idea. The first day should in fact be the first day of learning as you point out. That should be the point of an orientation...to get students prepared to learn. Students will always be a little nervous the first day, but if we can acclimate them prior to sitting in the classroom, things go much smoother.

Susan

I agree with connecting with the student before they even make it into the classroom. It's a great idea to welcome your students through email before the first class and give them some idea of what to expect from you.

Mike--

You bring up a good point. While meeting face-to-face is ideal, an email can also be highly effective.

Susan

This is very true,the first day, the first impression this is the time to make that caring connection.I also believe that hand shake is the connection to the heart, this shows that you really do care.

Joseph--

A good handshake can make a big difference and set the tone of collaboration. Good point.

Susan

The first day of orientation is very important and starting with our spring term we will be bringing the new students in a week before classes begin to allow them more time to get acquainted with faculty and staff before their coursework begins. Orientation usually covers so much information in 1 or 2 days but spreading it out 3-4 days will be more beneficial to the students.

Lori--

This is a very interesting idea! I agree that orientation can be long and we certainly give them a lot of information in a short period of time as a rule. Some institutions have a 'class' that is really an orientation, but starting the new students a week early has a lot of benefits. Certainly when everyone else arrives, they already are acclimated.

Susan

Sign In to comment