Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Where to start?

When building a retention program for one's program is there a safe place to begin, or do you have to just determine what is best for your program first, then add in additional practices?

I see where it says there are no particular orders or plan but to mix up various practices for your program, but is it possible to start with too much or too little?

Too much for staff/faculty or students, Krista? Each retention program should reflect the environment into which it will be used. Start with assessing the issues and then set priorities. Yes, it's possible to try to do too much at one time; set reachable goals and celebrate each success. Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Loren Kroh

I doubt it is ever too much--but possibly too late. Although we do al we can to keep them--by postponing the inevitable we make counteract the growth potential. Assuming our students are adults, then procuring responsibility is a part of the whole.

It is very important to establish retention practices early in the students academic process. Orientation is a great start, but during the enrollment process is a greater start. Being well informed about the program they are entering and being confident about the decision to enroll in a specific program is key to launching into successful retention practices.

Being well informed about the program certainly is important. Students are also concerned about how well they fit in; getting them acclimated to the culture and their classmates is important too.

I agree. The earlier the better so that students know what they are getting into. It is also important to make adjustments along the way, and it is important not only to let the students know their progress, but to let them know where they stand comapared to the rest of the class, anonymously of course.

As an instructor I sometimes forget about making sure the student feels welcome in the classroom. I concentrate on the material I have to give them in a short period and how we can get it all done before the term ends. I need to remember to be compassionate, soft skills, and listen to the students. Because sometimes they will give subtle hints they are struggling and if I really listen to them I can intervene soon and refer them to the PD, or student services.

That is so true! I think it is especially important to be welcoming during the first day of class. Everyone feels uncomfortable, unsure of what is expected. I remember going to a continuing education class where the instructor shook hands with everyone who came in the classroom. It really helped people to feel wanted and effected the course in a positive way.

That is true. You get so caught up in the plan you have for the day. It's important to step back and make sure everyone is on the same page with the information given. If you are too preoccupied students can fall behind quickly.

Giving out clear materials with lists of resources and good communication between the staff and the students will help with Retention. Planning a meeting for all students to discuss community resources and learn about them to help.

As an instructor I sometimes forget about making sure the student feels welcome in the classroom. I concentrate on the material I have to give them in a short period and how we can get it all done before the term ends

Hopefully that oversight will be remedied after going through this course, Rejandra. Connecting with your students is crucial.

Sign In to comment