Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Rather than conventional flyers and postcards, we have switched to something a little more techie. Knowing that all of our students have cell phones, we now use a program by http://www.SafcoSoftware.Com which allows us to contact students via their cellular messaging service (SMS). The student gets a personalized message on their phone to contact us asap. Fast, easy, inexpensive and gets great results. No printing, storing, stamping or mailing required.

Sounds like a powerful tool, Howard. Who oversees its use? Can anyone on the staff and faculty use it? Is there a record of the notification? What sort of messages do you send to students? Do you use it with employees?

The software is on our administrative network and has been integrated with our student enrollment software. It allows us to easily contact a single student, an entire class, or the entire student body within seconds.

One nice feature is that it doesn't matter which cellular carrier the recipient uses. The software figures it out automatically.

As for record of the notification, it works through Microsoft Outlook so yes, there will be a copy of the message in the Sent box.

We have found it to be particularly useful in contacting students who have had their home phones disconnected and/or those who tend to screen their calls. Also, if a class ever needs to be cancelled, the IM Blast will be received within seconds. Also, since we are in South Florida, we have used it on several occasions to notify students and staff with messages pertaining to hurricanes.

I think this is a great idea and would like to see it implemented at my school

What are the barriers to implementing it? Are you able to do it in your class? If not, what can you do to get it done?

Saving the student might be saving the world or at least as much of it, we have influence over. The point about co-dependency though is brilliant. (Wish I’d said that!)

I agree in being proactive from the very begining of the first day. Letting students know that you are there to educate them is very important however having an understanding that just as we do students also have a life outside of the school and thus sometimes that life collides with there learning .letting students know that I'm here to lend an ear if need be and posibly direct them to the proper department so that they can remain in school is something that i allways keep in mind.

I have found that if students are "pencil whipping" surveys, they need to be mixed up a bit. Change the format, the frequency- something. Our end of period surveys now only convey when a student has a very negative concern with the instructor. If you expect to get this level of info from a student, you have to be there.

When I have a student that is absent, I ask if anyone in the class knows the absent student, and if they have his or her phone number. If they do have a number, I ask them to give the absent person a call to see if they are all right, or if they need help. If I don't get any response, I contact an education manager before the class session is over to see if they can contact the student.

Asking students to call is an interesting twist. What kind of response do you usually get? Does it matter who the missing student is? Do you get a better participation among new students vs. those who are nearing the end of the program?

Bill, In my situation, I have to do a "line up" every day along with taking attendance. I find that if someone is absent, I can ask the others present,"... has anyone heard from or seen Sally/Joe?" If there is a response (and many of these students all have each other's phone numbers on their cell phones)and upon their return, I will casually mention that we missed them yesterday and I trust all is ok. That occasionally opens the student up with "yes, I had to move into a homeless shelter last night..."

I think the best way to keep students interested, and motivated to stay, is to be constantly interested in their success. Constantly walk the halls and stop by students and ask how everything is going. Getting involved in student life, day to day really helps out. It's good just to make eye contact and say hi to everyone you see. You want to keep the environment around you friendly.

No question that a friendly atmosphere is important, but does it provide support when a student has a problem? How do we move from a friendly smile to problem solving?

John, in an in-seat school I believe that is a great tool to have other students reach out to the missing student. Do you belive that peer mentoring or peer support in an on-line format can be just as effective?

On the first day of class, I have a personal sheet in which the students are to put their contact information, along with two other contacts for emergency situations. Doing this gives me 2 other open sources in contacting the "vanishing student." I have only had to use it one time, and in that time frame, I found out the student was having family issues, and did not know how to relate the issues to the school without the school being judgmental. I keep a line between the student and the teacher, but I also show genuine concern for the students so that they will feel comfortable with speaking with me about any problems that may arise. In my class, two of my chapters pertain to "juggling family, work, and school, and Problem solving techniques, but they are towards the back of the chapter. Maybe if they would move to the front of the chapters, seeds may be planted early, and retention rates would increase.

Love this idea and am stealing it as of today.

I tell my students, If there obstacles that your facing now in your relationship and we are only together four hours in class imagine when we go to clincals for eight what happens then.

What's their response to that message, Nuance? What are you trying to tell them?

Sign In to comment