Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Good approach, Dennis. Do you ever encourage general discussion among the students in the class so they can see that they are not the only one among their peers who are having these feelings?

I would be most interested in learning more about a web based resource for students to seek help and encouragement for any problems they may be experiencing. I agree with you that too many students, for whatever reason, are reluctant to initiate a "face-to-face" encounter at first. Any information on this topic would be most appreciated.

Providing multiple methods of contact is increasingly important with this generation of students. They seem to always have an excuse for not seeking out the help that they need. Many times those reasons – family commitments, work, etc. – are quite legitimate. Having access to student support through the internet adds an extra dimension to your institution's level of service. Details about one providers tools can be found at www.corvusllc.com.

After trying the "usual" ways to contact a student who has vanished, you can occasionally get additional insight from classmates of that student. A simple question such as "has anyone been in touch with ....." or "does anyone have a way of contacting ....." often produces results. Of course, we always need to keep confidentiality in mind. Responses, althought solicited, but be completely voluntary.

You're right, Barry. Students rarely disappear without a trace. The question usually is who has the time, energy and responsibility to track them down and what is the return on that effort.

If I have not heard from a student (which hardly ever happens) by our first break, I am on the phone calling the student to find out where they are and why they are not in school. I also inform students on the first day of school, if they are out they must return to school with 20 questions and 20 answers on the objectives for that day. I feel if I am on them constantly they feel needed. For almost 2 years I have not received this assignment twice... Dont let them out of site... Out of site, out of mind..

Thanks for sharing this practice, Jeannette. This is a great example of setting expectations in advance and following through. Too often we simply that you have to be in class without defining consequences if a you miss.

This is correct, but sometimes if the student does not have the adequate time, priority, and focus it is best that they leave and return with a positive and determined perspective. We can't force students to focus and spend time on their education if they themselves don't want to.
If we want to save the world and take a co-dependent stand rather than an educative one then we are rewarding their irresponsibilities towards themelves and their surroundings.

We often assume that students know what they are getting into when they enroll, Katayoun, but unfortunately this isn't always the case. Withdrawing and re-grouping may indeed be the best course of action for these students.

We have our new students fill out a form during orientation called "Heaven Forbid". They are to write a personal message to themselves reminding them why they came to school and why they shouldn't leave. So if they withdraw we send it to them. I had a student come into my office the other day that withdrew and received his "Heaven Forbid" in the mail. He took it as a sign that he needed to re-enroll. We are now starting to pull these sheets out earlier and remind the students of what they wrote at that first mention of withdrawing.

Every day every student must be reminded about the dream they had when they enrolled, Bonnie. When a student's dream fades so does his/her drive to overcome life's everyday problems. The trick is to know when students are losing sight of the goal so that you can effectively use these sheets or any other tool.

I agree completely. This is an area of thin ice for everyone in education. Even an anonumus resource for the students is a great idea for them to understand the help out there for them. I like to ask the students to do a class critique with no names, for myself as well as the students. I like to know what is going on for self imporvement. If anyone has an answer to this it would be great.

Anonymous end-of-period surveys can be useful tools, Jo, but in my experience, students quickly tire of completing them if they don't see any results from their input. Asking students for feedback creates an implied responsibility to, at least, respond to the information by explaining why nothing was done to change the conditions they identified. Also providing a contact system that allows students to directly address issues that are affecting their classroom performance is a good next step in developing a supportive environment.

I absolutely love that idea! Mind if I steal it? = P

Sharing ideas is one of the primary purposes of this course, Monica. How will you use this idea? Do you have the ability to identify at-risk students before they withdraw?

I plan on implenting this idea into my presentation at orientation. I'll pass out a paper and ask students to write their goals and reasons for enrolling in our program. I monitor students' grades and attendance here at the school and so whenever a student falls below our requirements they are put on probation and must meet with me. This meeting allows me to discuss their current status at the school and let them talk to me about any problems they may be having, personal or otherwise, that are affecting their performance in our program. These probation reports are done every 6 weeks with our full time students, 12 weeks with part time and allows us to identify issues and gives the students time to improve their status before they've reached the "point of no return". I think it would be good to show them the paper they filled out at orientation in these meetings to give them a reminder of why they came to us in the first place. I feel this will be a positive encouragement in these meetings, I look foward to starting this!

There are two ways to attack this problem. We use the terminology of frontside and backside retention. Both have to be in place in order for this system to work effectively.

Our backside retetion program involves us calling students the first day that they miss and we continue to call them until they return or are terminated from the program. The real key to this calling system is how we deal with the student once we have reached them. If we are threatening (i.e. if you don't come back you'll be dropped) students perceive that they have failed and will just not return. However, if remind the student that we can easily get them caught up and that no matter what and that they are always welcomed back -- we have very good success at least getting them back into school where we can address their issues in person. Calling systems like this and others presented in this forum can be very successful if implemented well.

However, to really get ahead of this problem requires "frontside" retention as well. Frontside retention consists of what is happening in class and on campus in general. When students disappear, it usually is because something in the "outside" world has captured our student's attention and has made school less of a priority. If we create great classes, have motivated caring instructors, and ensure that everyday is exciting and useful to the student, we will see far fewer disappearing acts.

We all have a hierarchy of needs. When the outside pressures mount, they must be addressed. Hopefully, the effected student will consider the school's resources as part of the solution to these problems. If the phone contact is handled properly – and this is a big if – it can serve as a connection to these resources. Who makes the calls in your system and how do you assure quality, Brian?

One the first two days, our instructors are expected to make the calls. Afterward, they are referred to our retention coordinators (Student Service coordinators.) The retention coordinators continue to follow up with the calls. In many cases, we will also get Admissions involved -- especially if it is early in the studnet's schooling.

A couple of things that we do to help us:

1. We have 4 or 5 cell phones at school that we can use for these calls. Sometimes, students will not pick up the phone if they recognize the school on caller ID. They, however, usually will pick up when we call from the cell phone -- and we will keep rotating them if necessary.

2. If phone numbers are changed or disconnected, we will pull their references from Financial Aid and use them to retrieve the new phone number.

3. We will identify their circle of friends at school and have them make some calls for us. This can be particularly effective.

In order to ensure quality, we script much of what should be said. Also, the phones that the instructors use are usually in or adjoining the Education office. This allows the DOE to listen in to these calls and give feedback as necessary.

I have found that flyers or postcards have helped to reach students that have disconnected phones or never answer.

Sign In to comment