Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

That should be a useful benefit for your graduates, Tina. How often do they take advantage of the refresher training? Do they take an entire course? How are they integrated into the classroom?

We have an academic affairs department that we are able to refer students to who are having "life issues". Often, we can prevent withdrawal by assisting the students in ways faculty cannot, and give referals as well to various community orgainizations.
We also attempt to notice "at risk" students early in the program in order to offer 1:1 tutoring if the students are having obvious academic difficulties.

We have a very involved Student Services department. I refer students constantly for a variety of reasons: academic, childcare concerns, transportation issues, financial issues, etc. It helps to know I have this valuable resource in my "Retention Village".

We have a very involved Student Services department. I refer students constantly for a variety of reasons: academic, childcare concerns, transportation issues, financial issues, etc. It helps to know I have this valuable resource in my "Retention Village".

Paula , what are the signs you look for when trying to identify at risk students? Are others also trained to be looking for these signs?

Denise, how much follow up do you get from these resources? Do they keep you informed about actions taken? Is that important to you?

we have none

Where I teach, the Career Services Department oversees the Graduate Placement Strategy (GPS) which guides students toward the right career position with the right employer. The process covers the journey from “classroom to career”, providing students with resources that guide and support them in achieving their goals for a new career. The GPS process does not end with graduation. Ongoing support is offered to alumni by providing job searches, resume assistance, interviewing tips. etc.

Our DOE is very in touch with the students and "on top" of problems. He checks in with the instructors and is willing to support us. He even comes in to classes, volunteers to have his vitals done....the student know him, and know he cares...not just their teacher, their program director but him too. As we say "They know we are watching them" LOL

Zoe, that's a pretty depressing statement, reflective of a very negative culture. Any thoughts about how to turn things around?

It's always great to have involved, engaged leadership, Rebecca. I'm sure the students appreciate it too.

Our school has employed a Career Services Director who works with the students from Day 1 to form a connection, which will continue through the course and upon graduation. The students know someone is looking out for them and will stay in touch to aid in their employment seeking process.

Jessica, how many students does the Career Services Director work with at any one time? Does he spend time in the classroom doing formal presentations?

Our college (Culinary) has SKILLS LAB program- once a week administered by an instructor, with no extra charge to the students where the students are advised to go when they need assistance with math or practicing culinary or baking skills that they couldn't attain during class time.

This can be very useful for your students, Anjali. How often are referrals made? How often are they accepted? What are the results?

My institution we have programs that reach out to students to recognize that weakness. We have tutors, mentors,and learning lab to help students to keep their commitment to continue with their education.

Equanda, how do you identify the students who need these services and who is responsible for seeing that the students follow through?

My college does skill lab, tutoring, and one on ones with students.

My school provides tutoring, student directed and faculty directed mentoring.

Who participates in the skill lab? Is this available for all courses? Has it been effective in helping students?

Sign In to comment