Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Motivation and Goal-Setting Theory | Origin: CS126

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Goal Setting and Motivation Strategies for Career Professionals --> Motivation and Goal-Setting Theory

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I've learned the names and titles for behaviors I've noticed with the students that I Coach. Most of the over achievers have the Forest for the Trees Phenomenon, where that have too much attention on their high expectations of themselves. These students are Extrinsic motivated with an Introjected push, by the fact that they want to appear accomplished not only to themselves but to others. 

I have learned that different types of motivation can work together and influence each other. Initially the goal might be motivated by external factors but over time the goal may be intrinsically motivated. I think it is important for students to understand they can enjoy and value their goals. I will use the motivation worksheet as a guide and starting point to help students better understand what motivates them so they can stay committed to their goals.

Set realist goals for students. Help motivate them by having the students write their goals and them when I meet with them I can remind them of their goals. Help the students stay motivated by meself being motivated along with them.

I like the idea about pathways thinking , that there are many routes to achieve your goals and can be helpful in dealing with students. Also figuring out what motivates students 

It's important to understand the type of motivation that our students have come to expect from school. If they are used to more extrinsic types of motivation (i.e. good grades or praise from a teacher) we have to find ways to intrinsically motivate them so they are seeking skills, knowledge, and talent because they want to grow as a person and as a professional.

This is exactly what I needed!! Helping a stepping back and using a more critical "eye" to see the students Intrincic and Extrencic motivation is! this is my AHHHHAAA MOMENT!!! I will be doing more research on this terminology, I have never heard it before but it really spoke to me and this it is needed to get the insite from our students perspectives. 

Set realist goals for students. Help motivate them by having the students write their goals and them when I meet with them I can remind them of their goals. Help the students stay motivated by meself being motivated along with them.

I think that achieving the goals that are set, it is important to have realistic expectations. If the expectations are placed too high they will give up or burn out. It is important to enjoy the process for the greater result.

Goal-setting  is an essential tool for self-motivation and self-drivenness – both at personal and professional levels. It gives meaning to our actions and the purpose of achieving something higher. By setting goals, we get a roadmap of where we are heading to and what is the right way that would lead us there. It is a plan that holds us in perspective – the more effectively we make the plan, the better are our chances of achieving what we aim

I learned that there is a direct correlation between the different kinds of motivation. Understanding your subject matter and using the appropriate type is always important at the beginning to have a better outcome. 

Set realist goals for students. Help motivate them by having the students write their goals and them when I meet with them I can remind them of their goals. Help the students stay motivated by myself being motivated along with them.

I have learned that there are different goals that influence students and peers alike, finding the way to bring goals to our students helps them to stay focused on, and to achieve their short and long team goals with clear understanding of how this will help them..

Goal orientation is a must. The more clear the student is when setting a goal with/for a career, the less of a chance there is for a miscommunication or misunderstanding. This then leads to a higher levels of success. 

My observation for the new generation they want to jump to the no 10 right away. They want in easy way no hard work. That is why i keep on telling them during exit hard work is the key.

I learned that there are different types of motivations and goals and everyone is different in learning and motivation. 

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities