Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Finding the Right Experiences | Origin: CS130

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Creating Work-Based Learning Programs - First Steps --> Finding the Right Experiences

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I feel that it is important for WBL Coordinators to look at each placement opportunity as a partnership that you are building to help your students, the business, and the community. 

I need to establish an orientation for our businesses & supervisors. I want the orientation to be quick & simple for the business partners. I am thinking about creating a lesson using Google Slides or PowerPoint so the employer can do it at their convenience and not have to attend another meeting. How do other schools do it? 

Open communication is the key so that all involved understand, know, and fulfill the obligations for the program.   Building a strong relationship allows for this and for future experiences.   Having a set presentation - with a handout that can be printed with key points - and a video seems to be useful for the orientation so the business can quickly review what we will go over during the orientation.

We often have students in placements in which their direct supervisor may change depending who's on shift at that time. In those situations our students often have to explain what they can/can't do and why they are there/their role. It's so helpful when students understand all of the pieces so that they can self-advocate in those situations.

I liked 3-point description of employer/business (company) orientations and introducing WBL…and, with a focus on the WBL coordinator explaining the WBL continuum and engaging them in activities related to career awareness 1st if necessary, not only career exploration-to-prepartion.

I liked the explicit, reiterated summary of the components of 1st an employer/business (company) orientation vs. the 2nd supervisor orientation.

Just because you may have a business partner eager to engage with your district and schools, this does not mean they are necessarily a good match for WBL opportunities. The information provided in this section gives me a good foundation of how to start this process of making sure everyone involved is actually on the same page.

I liked separating the business orientaiton from the supervisor orientation. However, I also think that would be burdensome on the employer?  Any thoughts on that?  

I like the comprehensive orientation and setting the foundation with a focus on building the program for the long-term success.  I appreciated the comments above too regarding valuing the time of the employer/supervisor when creating orientations.

Orientation needs to be valuable and follow the WBL guidelines. It needs to be worth the time and helpful.

I think both business and supervisor orientations in theory are best case, but I know that time can be a challenge, both as the coordinator and for the business.  I like the above idea to create a packet or Google slideshow that can be updated regularly and shared, and the individual student experience can be the focus of the in-person contact. 

Establishing a foundation of understanding will assist in program effectiveness and operation. Providing overview information to the company and program details to site supervisors can help with building trust and rapport. Developing a WBL supervisor's guide is a great suggestion.

It's imperative to partner with businesses that truly want to work with the work site learning coordinator.  

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities