Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Work-Based Learning Components | Origin: CS130

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Creating Work-Based Learning Programs - First Steps --> Work-Based Learning Components

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I believe both the training agreement and training plan are very important for each student's placement.  It is important that everyone understands the expectations of these documents for a successful student placement. 

We have a training agreement in place, but I was hoping to get an example of a training plan?

The training plans allow all participants to understand and recognize expectations, outcomes, and should be collaborative.  Specific outcomes are the key to making this experience successful.

I use similar concepts when writing an Independent Study agreement between students and teachers: one form gathers why students are doing IS, what the students is bringing to the experience, what is being learned and how it will be assessed. Anyone involved has the right to request changes or address gaps in the plan. It helps prevent surprises, which we all hate.

I appreciated the multi-sensory summary of the role of formative assessments as part of monitoring/evaluation of student’s WBL training plan.

I liked pop-up box simply defining formative assessment (NJSS Canvas courses module activities) and summative assessment (final evaluation).

Comments:

I am not sure this is the case in NJ for students as long as the state and federal labor laws are complied with? I thought they can on weekends?

• “Other part-time employment will not be pursued while enrolled in the WBL experience.”

I am not sure this is the case in NJ for public schools and private schools for special health care needs, if on-campus (maybe if off-campus yes)?

• “The student’s parents or guardians must provide transportation to and from the worksite.” 

I like how you broke down pieces of a Training Plan and showed how each one is critical to making the best fit for a placement.  I especially appreciated that students were seen as key members of a 'training team'.  Input and reflection they provide about themselves shines a different light 

We are absolutely from nothing in terms of providing a standard of WBL at our college.  The plans and assessments here will provide a strong starting point for us as we determine what we want to understand about the student WBL experience, how we're doing as a college, and how our employers are doing -- all of this leads back to retention & graduation as a huge factor of success too.  

Communication and assessments are key in making sure all parties are on the same page and that the program shows it's relevance to student growth and employability - I really liked the idea of formative assessments as well as summative so students can see progress and address gaps.

The training plan should be a proactive versus reactive plan to help the student within a job placement. The training plan should constantly be updated after evaluations and self-reflections.

Formative assessments as well as student reflections are so important, but I think often may get pushed aside when things get busy.  It is an important reminder to prioritize these crucial pieces!

It is important for all parties to the WBL experience to have a clear understanding of expectations and requirements. Approaching the experience with an individualized training plan will empower the student to understand what skills, and why, they are learning along the way. Formative assessment should prevent any surprises at summative assessment and student self-evaluation shares importance with supervisory evaluation.

Lo queude aprender está detalado en los siguientes puntos:

- La importancia de tener un marco y una estructura claros para la creación de un programa de aprendizaje basado en el trabajo (WBL).
- Los diversos elementos que componen un programa WBL y cómo interactúan para ayudar a los estudiantes a adquirir conocimientos y habilidades que pueden utilizar en el mundo real.
- La mejor manera de inculcar un espíritu de cooperación y asociación en el vecindario para apoyar el programa WBL.
- La necesidad de realizar más estudios, con especial énfasis en las ventajas potenciales del WBL y cómo su implementación podría afectar a los inscritos en el programa.
- Las responsabilidades multidisciplinarias de un coordinador de WBL, incluyendo cómo planificar, llevar a cabo y supervisar un programa de WBL eficiente y exitoso para los estudiantes.
- La importancia de resaltar los logros de los estudiantes y empresas afiliadas, así como el desarrollo de un sitio web educativo y profesional para difundir y promover el programa.

I appreciated reviewing other district documents in comparison to ours.  They seem to vary by state but it's nice to learn about what others are using. 

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities