Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The Role of the Work-Based Learning Coordinator | Origin: CS130

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Creating Work-Based Learning Programs - First Steps --> The Role of the Work-Based Learning Coordinator

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I believe recognizing the different roles a WBL Coordinator plays is important to the success of any program.  I also believe being dedicated to the success of your students will translate in the success of your program. 

It is important to be an advocate to your own program. A social media campaign & marketing campaign is huge to get the word out about a program. I am hesitant to do this right now since this is a new program. I will establish social media accounts for our program though and use them to highlight students and employers in the program.

WBL Coordinator responsibilities - budget, legal - I assume in tandem with DO folks, engage with stakeholders, plan employer/employee recognition event, advise  CTSO.   A lot to do.   I assume this would be considered an admin position or can it be a certified employee?

It's important that the instructor retain the power to adapt the tools to work for their program and placements. The coordinator ensures alignment and fidelity to the overall big picture system, while making room for customization so the tools are useful.

I liked how ACTE talked about how WBL Coordinator has duties/responsibilities overlapping with other school-based counselors (guidance, etc.). I liked how ACTE introduced importance/concepts of FERPA and HIPPA; by age, some students are minors and some are adults but each in K-12. I liked how ACTE discussed the potential challenges of when the WBL coordinator is trying to set up a school-sponsored/credit-based WBL with an employer who had already become familiar with a student as a part-time paid employee over the summer, over holidays and/or school year.

Comments/Feedback: The second webpage of this section really caught my eye because it makes the process sound overwhelming, whereas in NJ, NJDOE and NJSS or NJDOE and NJLWD, have done a lot to get forms templates ready (e.g., student training plans, the IEP/ILP) or provide working papers templates (NJ A300/NJ A310), respectively, provide trainings, etc. But, I was surprised how, on a future page of Section III, no link to USDOL ODEP “soft skills” webpage was given? ACTE briefly/incompletely summarized these six soft skills for employment and professionalism? https://www.dol.gov/agencies/odep/program-areas/individuals/youth/transition/soft-skills

I appreciated the mention of evaluating a work-based learning program and plans for continuous improvement. Quantitative and qualitative survey information should be collected from everyone involved with the program, including business partners and students. 

Although I have several ideas on what I see the students doing and how to involve business and industry partners, this content is helping me conceptualize and break down the actual process of where and how to begin.

I read about amazing programs that other districts have and just need to realize, this did not happen overnight. 

We already have much in place, so I need to be patient and learn to be clear about my vision.  I  also need to be cognizant that this will require the assistance of others and that I need to rely on my colleagues for this to be successful.

WBL Coordinator definitely has multiple hats with multiple moving parts.  With this knowledge, I will definitely be able to apply it to the WBL committee who will assist us in developing many of these provided considerations.  This is especially important as it relates to the public reltaions/communications which is often overlooked because it doesn't always provide direct services.  However, it is important to set the precedence of our WBL program within the community.

Relevance in education is so often left out of the core subject classroom - many times assumed that students understand it's importance.  We know that students learn better with hands on experineces and school is one of the best places to develop those needed soft skills.  When stakeholders work together to provide these career development experiences for students, education becomes much more relevant and engaging.

Work-based learning is a benefit to not only the school community but also the community. There are many tasks to be done. It is not solely on the cte teacher but the cte coordinator, administrators, and partners.

Emphasis on public relations hit home for me - social media, business/industry recognition, service learning projects for students.  

The coordinator wears many hats and more often than not, more than one at the same time. Because of the blurring of roles, it is important that the coordinator is able to clearly communicate the aims of the program and collaboratively develop plans for continuous improvement with students, employers, school counselors, school administration, etc.

I found it enlightening to not focus on numbers but quality.  Wondering if this is the typical case in districts or if enrollment supersedes the quality? 

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities