Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Advisory Board Operational Effectiveness | Origin: CS116

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Establishing and Operating Effective Employer Advisory Boards --> Advisory Board Operational Effectiveness 

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Some of the information in this presentation was information I already knew but, having a refresher was great. I do like the PDF templates that were able to be downloaded. These help to get started with setting up an advisory board if a person has never performed this duty before. I really like the bylaws template and plan on developing one for my advisory board.

My takeaway from this module was the new board member welcome/orientation. I love the idea of creating a resource binder/notebook, a tour of the campus where the program(s) are, and providing articles/press releases  that speak to those programs, student activities, or graduate accomplishments. I also appreciated the ideas for communication in between meetings to keep your advisory board members engaged and updated with what's hapoening at the college, students events, etc. 

Communication is key.  Reaching out with reminders two weeks in advance with an agenda, then again a week prior, sharing minutes after the meeting, and encouraging communication inbetween meetings will help participation stay high and members feel included and engaged.  All will benefit your advisory.  

Great guide for brining your board together and organized

I learned that the length of a meeting doesn't determine its productivity; quality of content and valid decisions are crucial. Estimating sufficient time for meaningful discussions is important, and the commitment of Advisory Board members should not be underestimated. Meetings can range from 30 minutes to 2 hours, and meal services can extend the duration. I also discovered the value of using a customizable agenda template for effective organization.

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities