Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Active listening is essential to making students feel that they are being heard. By making students feel like they are being heard and understood, you build better relationships and will have a better working alliance with those students. 

Comment on Rex Mounce's post: I appreciate sharing your practical experience in working with adult learners.  Kudos for your efforts to improve.  We all continue to grow :)

I appreciate the reminders on listening and feedback skills, which have been effective throughout my career. Today, I plan to work with case workers, dealing with adult learners with significant personal challenges.  This section on active listening and constructive feedback will be provide me concrete guidelines to help them improve their interpersonal  and communication skills.

I've worked with counselors or case managers who are "burned out" and have forgotten these important skills.  I will need to work on helping them step back to avoid the temptation to provide "destructive feedback" or being judgemental.  This module will help guide me (and them) in the process of reflecting on this skill.

In this module, I learned the importance of active listening and successful coaching integrates feedback and not judgement and creates a safe and trusting modality for ongoing professional partnership.

I've learned from this module that active listening comes in handy when offering constructive feedback. Without empathetically listening, you are unable give any feedback whatsoever because it will not be constructive at that point.

Listening is key with career coaching.  Listen to what the student is saying and not saying. Make sure that we are acknowledging their concerns be restating what was said so that they know that we paying attention to them and hear them. This will build trust and allow them to come to us when they need help. 

I've learned that a nonjudgmental and active listening style will encourage rather than discourage students. In the future, I will apply useful frameworks like OPUS and GROW to assist in coaching.

This has been a wonderful refresher on active listening, body language and positive feedback. It is good to take a step back as a counselor or coach and assess yourself to ensure you are using these tools and ideas effectively.

The Listening Process - Sense, Interpret, Evaluate, Remember, Respond.

Constructive Feedback and thinking before speaking, also to keep any personal biases out of the feedback

Active listening is very important and being able to read the depths of understanding is something I plan to implement and be more mindful of. 

I like the  SNIP model which stands for specific, neutral, immediate, and practical for feedback. I think it reflects a strong communication and  conversation that definitly lead to  positive growth

Being an effective coach requires empathetic observation and listening.  By actively listening, we allow ourselves to have time to respond in a positive way, instead of simply reacting.  This allows for constructive feedback instead of judgement and criticism. 

Stick to the facts, be compassionate, and offer alternative perspectives. I expect the acronym frameworks to be used in my immediate future with my team and how I am able to handle their concerns as well.   

Using a formal framework can help you build a better rapport. 

Building strong relationships and being an effective listener are the main pathways of your student's success. 

To be an effective career advisor, one must always exhibit good active listening skills through the use of silence and body language. When students feel heard and understood, they will most likely feel confident in their next steps. 

Listening to students will give you more insight on how to help them with starting a new career. 

An effective listener is someone who actively engages in the process of listening to understand and respond appropriately to the speaker. 

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities