Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

LGBTQ On-the-Job Considerations | Origin: CS111

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Providing Career Services for LGBTQ Students --> LGBTQ On-the-Job Considerations

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I liked reading the scenario about Gabriel "Gabby" Jones because it reminds me of an incident with  a teacher and student at my former school.  The teacher came to me becasue she felt uncomfortable calling a homosexual female student by the name the student chose that was different from in STI.  I informed the teacher that she had no problems calling different heteosexual students by names other than in STI; therefore, there should be no reason to call the homosexual student by the name the student chose.  We have students called Bubba, when the real name is Brian.  So, what's wrong with calling a female Bob instead of Barbara.  I have no issue with it.

People have the right to tell you what they stand for and we should not judge.

I'm wondering about information given in the section on discrimiation in the workplace where it talked about an employee's boss who didn't assign an account tocause the client was known to be extremely conservative in nature.  It seems to me that it is in the best interests of the company to do that if they want to continue to serve that client and that it also provides protection for the LGBTQ employee. Couldn't the employee be given an equally important account with someone who wasn't so extreme?  In small companies this might not be possible and a business could always refuse to work with a client who wasn't willing to work with a LGBTQ employee as well but I wouldn't consider this example as discrimination without knowing more details around intent.

It was interesting for me to read that most LGBTQ individuals who experience discrimintation may choose to leave the job rather than stand up for their rights. This reminded me of the prior module about LGBTQ mentors as connecting individuals in this way could invaluable.

I feel that its a persons choice to claim who and what they are and advisors are there to support them through tis process.

I learned ways to advise students who may want to know how they might come 'out' at work, the potential impact to them, and ways to determine and address if they experience any forms of discrimination or harassment as a result of being 'out' in the workplace.

I had not realized that there are the least number of legal protections for LGBTQ individuals.  Very disappointed but sadly not very surprising. 

Students should be made aware what the processes and procedures are for coming out at work.

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities