Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Preparing for Job Developing | Origin: CS106

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Becoming an Effective Job Developer --> Preparing for Job Developing

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I enjoyed this module. I like that they emphasized vital ways to build relationships with employers. I also like the idea of recognizing students as they reach milestones with their employers.

I learned that job developers need to think like recruiters. We need to know as much as possible about our students. Knowing their strengths, weaknesses, and personalities will help determine appropriate job order matches. One must not only know the candidates, but know the market. Know basic background and marketing info, so you can respond correctly if employers ask. And of course remind yourself that job developing is a way to connect with people and strengthen your skills. Be a problem solver not a sales person.

Module was very informative.  I appreciate the "Thinking out of the Box" examples. The idea of partnering with employers for use of our facility regarding the interview process is a tool I would like to offer.

The module was informative, and it provided me with a new resource. I learned it's very important to know your candidates when it comes to matching them with an employer. Having a consistent process to touch points in the student life cycle can help develop a relationship with the students before they graduate and be able to get the proper paperwork completed. It is also very important for you to know the industry in which you are selling the idea to. It can help you build rapport with the employer, and you become part of the industry. Knowledge is key to this whole process, and it can help you persuade employers to work with you.

I learned some more innovative tactics that I can use to assist employers, which in turn, will help our students. It was interesting to find out that some employers spend $4,000 annually to fill positions. It is amazing how much an employer could save by relying on us to help fill job vacancies. I will definitely implement the suggestions given in the near fututre.

I have learned a great deal of ideas, along with strategies on how to assist the students with employment along with learning techniques for me.  I didn't know the average company spends about $4,000 to fill a position, now that very shocking!

I came in wanting specific strategies for being more effective, and I definitely found them. I had stumbled into some of these, but there are others that didn't even occur to me. This is hiogh quality training.

We must be strategic, do our research on employers, candiadte, know our value to emplyers and understand the industry.

This module was great and very educational. It was a great reminder about building relationships and really knowing your program. 

I absolutely love Career Services and the value we bring to our healthcare community! The word advocate is exactly who we are.. not the salesman... we advocate on behlaf of the graduate, and we also are advocates of the employer sharing their organizations with our graduates. 

I learned there is more than finding poetenial job leads, it developing a relationship and a partnership. I will moving forward  offer to help collect application, referrences, and assist the potenial hiree get hired quicker. I have had students in the past not turn in the application or references requested and then not get the job.  

I have learned that I need to learn all I can regarding the IT industry before reaching out to employers.  I thought is was a great suggestion to make available anything you may have to offer an employer such as facility or equipment.

Interesting to see that an employer may spend on average $4,000 annually to hire. I like the idea of offering employers more than a potential candidate, but the use of our facility to host their events.

I learned that is it extremely important to really know your instiutions programs, especially newer ones so the conversations with employers can be more productive and ultimately find the right fit for the students. 

I learned a lot about this topic in this module. I am fairly new to this world so it is a lot to digest. I also liked the part that stressed having the right attitude. 

I appreciated this module covering the necessity of having a vast knowledge about your institution and industry before diving in with potential employers you intend to partner with. I also agree it's valuable to enter with a positive mindset.

I agree that building lasting relationships with employers is key. I appreciated the suggestions for services we could offer to them to strengthen these relationships. 

I learned that you need many different skill set to be an effective Job Developer. 

I honestly didn't think that I would enjoy this module as much as I did. Although, much of the information presented I was already aware of, it was a great refresher, and I did learn alot.  It is so very important to know your audience...student, employer, industry, etc. What a great feeling it is when you place the right student at the right organization. When they both thank you for your efforts and great contribution, that's success.

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities