Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

We do Graduate Surveys, Post-Graduate Surveys and Employer Surveys which keeps contact with Graduates in addition to calling Graduates to check on job status.

Great Michele,
How do you use the results? Who does the information get sent to? And what changes have you made? Also have you asked employers to take any roles at the school such as give presentations, hold mock interviews, etc.
Best wishes, Susan

I would like to see a sample survey for employers who have hired graduates. Also, would like to see a sample survey to graduates MIA. This would be a great help to my organization. I could use it and tailor it to fit our needs. Please leave your email address and or phone number if you are willing to help out a colleague.

Hi Kimberly and everyone
Email us and we will send you a sample survey for employers. susan@susanfschulz.com

Hi Suzanne,

One tool we used to improve our survey responses (albeit in a different environment) was to utilize on-line survey sites. We would compose the survey on-line and send the link it to our participants via their e-mail addresses.

Some of the sites will allow you to track your response statistics for free or at a nominal cost. It has been a while since I used one, but a Google search should bring up some options.

Kate T.

Well, I guess I would start with my measure of success.

As per the standards, I would need to obtain initial placement data, with supplemental data at 30 and 60 days. This will keep my director happy.

In regards to the employers, I think success might be measured by supplying well-trained and prepared students who become long-term employees. This would keep them coming back to us in the future.

In regards to the students, perhaps success would depend upon their level of overall satisfaction with the training and preparation they received in relation to their career goals.

It becomes apparent, especially from reading the other posts, that surveys are definitely not "one-size-fits-all".

Kate T.

Hi Kate
Good definition of measure of success. Our thought is to keep redefining and understanding it. As to surveys, it is often what you do with the information. We strongly believe the information has to be disseminated throughout the school, discussed, and then analyzed as to what changes may need to be made. Then put changes in place and measure measure measure!
Best wishes
Susan

Hi Kate and Suzanne
Getting people to respond to surveys is always a challenge. Here are a few more ideas - Link completing the survey with satisfactory completion of course. For online surveys, keep them short and let people know how long it will take. You can often increase motivation if people are told it will only take 2 minutes from their day. Also make the online surveys easy to use and access. Best wishes, Susan

Our surveys are conducted from both sides of the fence - graduates & employers. In using the outcomes of the questionnaires, we are able to measure the effectiveness of our curriculum, what areas need to be strengthened or shortened, and offer information to prospective students that is accurate and realistic (average salary, average number of days to employment, future projections for job openings, etc.)

Hi Ronald
Your described a great way to use surveys. There is lots of information that can be gathered and also used to make changes and keep people up to date. So many schools put the surveys in a drawer! Surveys are also a way to gain comments and testimonials. Also a way to start networking with employers and grads for other opportunities. Best wishes, Susan

We offer satisfaction surveys which is completed at graduate seminar. We send graduate surveys 30 days after they graduate. Employer surveys 60 days after they are plaed. We send graduate update forms also. Placement success is measured by graduate placement numbers.

Hi Kerrie, Sounds very thorough. What do you do with the information you collect from the surveys? How is the information analyzed and distributed to others for feedback. Are there other ways to measure placement success? What about job retention, advancement, etc. Good job, Susan

I will admit that this is the area that our department seems to falter on the most! We do tally all of the information and provide the Program Directors with the results, but it has seemed to slack over the past term or so. I was out of the office for about 3 1/2 months, which is a challenge to return and see what is where. This department has also gone through a few different Directors over the years, which is one of the greatest challenges to determine what surveys were sent to who and when. Some of the documentation from previous years is still being sought out.

Make life easy for yourself, Kerrie. Focus on a system for today and tomorrow. Keep it simple. Assemble the data as soon as you get the completed surveys and write up a summary. Email it out to interested people, or assign them, or create a committee. Ask for feedback within 2 days. Compile the feedback and resend. Ask what changes should be made as a result of this info. Go from there. You'll have a good system in place. Good luck, Susan

We give all of our soon to graduate students to fill out a survey based on their exp with the school and staff of the school.

In we also like for them to comment on what they implement for us to change.

WE also keep in touch with them and send surveys to their employment.

HI Claudia - Always essential to measure all outcomes. Surveys are one way to do that. Really important is to ask students how things are going for them each time you meet. Ask what additional assistance they need. Hold an exit interview and find out the grad's thoughts on every aspect of your school. Then make changes based on this valuable feedback. Thanks, Susan

We have been conducting an anonymous Graduation Survey about a week before students graduate and asking about their employment plans. The response rate is high this way, however,some students at our college cannot begin work in their field immediately because they have to wait to take Board Tests, so follow up is very important. Others plan to relocate and may want to settle in before they begin employment, and others plan to open their own practice. I now plan to implement a follow up survey to find out the progress made after graduation. I am thinking about a follow up email with a link to an online survey, and I'm wondering what kind of results other schools have had with this? How do you incorporate these survey results to come up with an actual Placement Percentage Rate???

Hi Jenny
Really great ideas. Just wondering why the survey is anonymous. Why not give students the option of including their names. This way you can get updated emails and other contact information too. Do you include questions that ask when grads plan to start work such as - as soon as possible, after passing the test, after moving, etc? There might be other information to gather if you also leave the question open ended. The follow up survey after graduation is essential. In fact, we recommend contact each month for a while or ideally send a really great newsletter every month to stay in touch and keep grad contact info current. On line surveys are a great idea. We find that if you include how long it will take to complete the survey that increases responses. A 5 minute survey is usually do-able. A 15 minute survey often turns people off. Grads are a valuable resource to every school. They can refer students, job openngs, and give great feedback. Also they can sign up for advanced programs. Thanks for the input, Susan

The students have the option of including their name on the survey, but it is not required. As I understand, it was felt that the response rate would be higher if they are not required to put their name on it. We do collect their contact information from them before they graduate. The survey covers many areas of their educational experience, but we have been asking minimal information in regards to their employment plans. I hope to expand on this and to begin following up with the students to gather more information on their employment successes. The ideas in the class and forum have been very helpful and provided many suggestions that we can use to improve our process.

HI Jenny, Interesting thinking about students adding their names to the surveys. You might want to try anonymous and choice to include name and measure results. It will be interesting to learn more about students' employment plans. That will help you in guiding them and the employment skills training you provide. Glad you have enjoyed the course. I do too! Always things to learn. Thanks, Susan

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities