Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Do you have any books or refernce material that we can purshase to help with exit interviews?

HI Freda
It would be great if there were books and reference materials but there really aren't. The best thing is to brainstorm with your staff to think about what you want to happen in an exit interview. Talk with students about career plans, how to finish on time, personal and professional concerns. Also, what information do you want to know? Typically it is up dated contact information, job search plans, taking an exam if needed, etc. Then put a "script" in place and work it. And measure measure. Then you will have a great exit interview designed for your school. Best wishes., Susan

We have surveys for graduates and employers that we complete every 90 days either by phone or mail. We also have surveys that are completed once a student has completed externship. The information is discussed with staff so that we can see where we can improve.

Hi Laurie

Aren't surveys great? You can find out so much information. And you've discovered that it is important to use the information by getting feedback from everyone and making changes. Are you able to keep track of students every 90 days? So many move and don't leave addresses.
You're on track.
Susan

We created a postgraduate survey that we send out every six months. It's simple and takes very little time for the graduate to complete. It asks if they are employed and if not how can they be reached and what is the best time to reach them. If they are employed it asks for employer information. They also have the opportunity to let us know that they are not seeking employment and the reason why. By using this form we have been able to locate many of our grads that are MIA. We also enclose a self-addressed, stamped envelope.

If it comes back to us as undeliverable then we begin our skip trace efforts.

Allison

HI Alison
Sounds like a model plan to keep in touch with grads and develop employer relationships.

Have you considered sending out the surveys at 2 and 4 months as well? Also follow up with phone calls?

What kind of skip trace efforts do you put in place?
Best wishes
Susan

This type of survey may not work for all schools but as placement director for a massage therapy school, I created one specifically for the potential employer. Massage therapists come in all shapes and ilks. Some are very medically oriented and conservative, others earthy and some have extreme alternative looks. In order to save time and avoid awkward situations, I have a list of questions that I send to all employers who have an interest in working with my department. Some of the questions I ask:

1. What is proper attire for a potential employee interviewing at your place of business?

2. What education and experience do you require a new therapist have?

3. Do you allow your employees to have tattoos or visible body piercing?

4. Are male employees allowed to have long hair or facial hair? How do you feel about non-traditional hair colors (royal blue, purple, etc.)?

5. Are your therapists required to wear uniforms? If so, briefly describe.

6. Do you ever sponsor foriegn employees?

7. What types of duties are your therapists expected to perform while "on the clock" at times when they are not massaging?

8. Do you employ part-time as well as full-time employees?

9. Does the pay rate change during times that the therapist is not booked for a massage?

10.Do you have wet room treatments such as scrubs and wraps? If so, are those services performed by massage therapists? Is the same rate of pay provided for those as a massage? Do you train your therapists in those activities?

11.As a career placement director, what should I know about your company to help me place the right therapist in your organization?

HI Teri
This is such a great idea. It helps to match up the right candidate with the right employer and can be adapted to most industries. Also these types of surveys keep communication open with employers. You might ask them to design the ideal employee and then show it to your grads.
Lots of opportunities with surveys.
Best wishes
Susan

I am trying to start a placement department and I just recently conducted a survey and did not get the response I had hoped for--I ask the students why they picked their major and to list at least three places that they would like to interview? The responses were things like were ever pays most and general businesses. How can I get the studetns to think about more specific places of business that they would like to work. I told the students that I was going to use their information that they gave me as a starting point for contacting people in the community to work with our college and to eventially hire students.

Hi Hildie
Really great idea to survey students with the questions you posed. Now the challenge is to get responses. It's not easy. Traditionally people don't like to respond to surveys. It's a pain. So what to do? Keep asking in a variety of ways. Make it painless. Keep asking often. Figure out how to motivate students. Ask them when you see them in the hall. It's the information you want. Any way you can get it.

Anyone have techniques that work to improve survey responses?
Best wishes
Susan

Hi Hildie/Susan
Here at our school we sent out an alumni letterto remind the grad of our continuing interestin there career progress.along with a survey form so we can update our records. a postage paid envlope, is included in the mailing, my email address, 800 phone number and my direct line and also the fax number. we included this last time a coupon they could use to have a service done if they responed back within the date range we set up.

Hi Sheila
Thanks for sharing the information. You certainly provided many ways to easily contact you plus an incentive. How much did it increase responses? Another idea is to include the survey on your website. That's even easier. And make the survey easy to use while getting the info you want.
best wishes
Susan

Thank you Susan--I have been able to get more out of people face to face. I have thought about setting up a table with free things like pens to get their attention and talk to them as they visit the table.

Susan depends some times we get an over whelming response another time hardly anything.

Hi Hildie

What you have pointed out so well is that one has to use many strategies to reach the goal.
Thanks
Susan

We give out surveys after every module that evaluate their classes and the services from the school. After reading this module I think I will include more questions related to their career goals also. We also set up appointments a month before they graduate to get updated information and to discuss one on one where they would like their career to go. From their we try to follow up weekly until they are working and then monthly from there on out. We do a lot of this by phone. I think using surveys would help a lot more.

HI Krista
Great survey plan. You're getting students used to completing surveys. Maybe it helps to motivate them to have something good to say. What's also important is to evaluate the surveys, distribute results, and make changes using the data.
Best wishes
Susan

The only surveys I have been using are the Graduate Application/Survey for students to complete in order to receive their degree and an exit interview that updates student address, phone number, and employment info before they graduate. But after reading this forum, I will begin survey students on career services as well as graduates once they are working in field in order to better measure job retention success.
Thanks!
Deloris

Hi Deloris
Great that you require the surveys before you hand out the degrees. It's a way to keep up with student's contact info. Continuing to send surveys provides info and helps to keep up with new addresses. It's not fail safe but helps.
Best wishes
Susan

You're right. The surveys will also help to measure the success of the placement department.

Thanks Susan!
Deloris

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities