Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I have just sent my first graduate survey but the result was really sad. So, I utilized a call blast along with an incentive to win something in a random drawing and I hope I will get more feedback.
I do talk to most graduates already and I definitely contact the employers in a monthly basis. But, WHAT IS THE BESTAND TACTFUL WAY OF ASKING FOR JOB OPENINGS?

Hi Cristelyn
Sounds like you are doing a great job so don't get discouraged if you are not getting the results you want right away. It takes patience, persistence, and change. Re graduate survey - you might hold an exit and even pre-exit interview. At that time you can ask the grad to complete the survey or if needed ask them the questions and you write the answers. Following up with calls by well scripted callers is a good idea. It takes checking the results and the script and the time of day calls are made. As to asking employers for job openings - why not frame it so they are getting the benefit and you are doing them the favor? Also, keep in touch with employers in a variety of ways via email and inviting them to see your school. And when they hire your grad, follow up to be sure your grad was work ready. Thanks, Susan

A phone survey that is followed up by a spreadsheet is not a bad idea however in the past my school has created a survey to be mailed and returned. Which may not be a good idea because we receive less that 2% back. I mail 300 student and 150 employer surveys per quarter and may get 4 back from each. Ideas on how to conduct survey would be greatly appreciated.

Stephanie,
We are starting to see that online surveys don't provide a lot of response. That's why we are now looking at the benefits of a comprehensive Community Outreach initiative. That means visits and phone calls to employers. We think there is more information to be gained than from a survey. Your thoughts? Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

I would love to hear what skip trace efforts you do as well!

I think a short survey for grads asking about their interests in the future and how we can improve would get us the most feedback and open the dialogue door. I think asking employers to share what we could do to improve the training of their now-employed grads would be great and easy as well.

I am wondering how do you get students to keep sharing when they advance with you? Especially with the students who want nothing to do with you after graduation. Or share salary info which can be really personal for some.

Leah,

There are many services that provide skip tracing. There is an increased number of services that help to locate grads and find out where they are working and salary. Staying in touch with Alumni is one way to do this. MaxK offers a course on how to set up and develop an Alumni Community. Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

Leah,
A short survey is a great start for any initiative and to check how you are doing. You might want to consider setting up an Alumni Community, It is a great way to assist your grads, It also provides a way to talk to employers about improving training to meet employment needs and tell you about job openings and whether they can host externship sites. Alumni are valuable resources and can provide extra hands especially in employment skills training, MaxK offers a course on how to set up Alumni Communities, benefits, and ROI. Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities