Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I think another thing to remember is if you are listing your employment and are hired based off of that then anything you did not disclose is what? an omission or falsification?

Not disclosing or making up employment history is an incredible problem at any level. For entry level grads perhaps the goal is to help them create a realistic resume they can be proud of. This is a reason to have externships because it is a way for people with little employment history to show some experience. thanks, Susan

As educators, because to some degree we are, we have to motivate students to want to be employed. I feel that because of unfavorable background people shy away from advancement, but people change and can better themselves, that is why we are here. I had a student that spent 18 years in prison, because as a young person they did something stupid and paid the price, but they came to school and was very determined to make a success of themselves, and so we help to foster that determination by working with that person, encourageing them every step of the way, and when all was said and done, they got hired from thier externship!!! It can happen,but sometimes we have to help nuture thier desire to move forward and make the necessary changes in thier lives, they have taken the first step then we have to be thier to help them continue.

Sharon cologero

Really great points. It is a challenge to get students to move out of the safety of the classroom and into the workforce. They no longer have their network or concerned teachers and staff. That can be pretty scary. So it takes a lot of determination and motivation. We think it all starts in admissions. Admissions staff has to set the expectation that first there is training and then there is the job search. And both are expected to be performed well. Admissions should recognize the student who has no intention of seeking employment and figure out why if possible. Thanks for your moving story. Problem is that some jobs do not allow those with criminal histories to apply. Now that's another story. Thanks, Susan

I would love to gain insight as to how other career services departments handle HVAC students/graduates who have lost their drivers license? It has been lost due to legal reasons.

Antonia,
This is an interesting challenge. Perhaps the goal is to start with admissions requirements stressing the requirement of a drivers license. Perhaps your disclaimers can include a statement that a certificate of completion will not be issued until the student can show a valid license. There are many regulatory issues. You have a challenge! Thanks, Susan

Dr. Susan Schulz

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities