Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Our Medical students are required to do 120 hours of externship before graduation where they do go into Dr. offices and really put what they have learned into practice. It really helps me to place students because I get feedback from the Dr. offices on their strengths and weakness and I can make suggestions to the students as to what type of work environment we should look to place them in. I tell all my students that it is extremely important that I get an updated resume with the extern site on it to show they have some experience.

We strongly believe in externships wherever possible. We also believe that the experience should be formalized. There needs to be a set of competencies the student has to perform and be rated on. We also feel that there needs to be lots of evaluations, pre- and post-tests, supervisor evaluation, and student evaluation. The externship for many is the only work experience they can show. It has to be rigorous. The greater the rigor the more confidence the student will have during the job search. Thanks, Susan

I strogly encourage all my students to input good jobs as thier exp, I always take off their retail exp even if they have many years exp.

I think a professional resume should only include the IMPORTANT JOBS.

The greatest challenge I've faced in trying to help a student with a "background" is that the student doesn't always see it as a barrier. The first thing I do is sit with the student and have him or her tell me what they think might be the problem with their particular background as it relates to employment. When they come up with the answers then the realization of what they need to do to overcome the objections they might face is easier to accept. I can then work with the student to prepare a strategy for overcoming the negative aspects of the background.

Claudia: Many jobs that we don't think of as ideal still have quantifiable results that can show a prospective employer that the candidate can handle their particular job. For example instead of saying "Cashier at Grocery Store" one could say "Served over 100 customers a day, assuring that their groceries were tallied correctly and packaged quickly." There are always quantifiable results that can show achievement.

This is a great strategy, James, and can probably work with most students. However we feel that there should be full disclosure in admissions. And if the admissions folks don't understand why then they need to be trained on the fact that some careers do have barriers that are a result of backgrounds that can't be fixed. Thanks, Susan

Very good point, James. Students need to learn to write up their resumes to highlight their accomplishments. This helps the student with self esteem issues as well. Thanks, Susan

Interesting point Claudia. We feel that the resume should be divided into Major Employment and other Employment. In the other employment section there can be a summary of jobs rather than listings with dates. Some jobs such as retail or fast food show that the student is accustomed to working with the public and might demonstrate their customer service skills - all very important for all careers. So we wouldn't eliminate it. Susan

In our admissions process we go over with students the type of convictions that we know will prevent them from obtaining a license or employment as well as the items they will have to provide explanations for in order to become eligible for licenses. This way a student can make an informed decision on enrolling based on thier background.

As soon as the students start thier orientation and again prior to graduation we talk to the students about the issues they may need to explain or get documentation from the court regarding items on thier records. We utilize this to help prevent a lag time from graduation to thier licensing period which will affect thier employment eligibility.

In this economy, I feel that employers are looking to discount people with gaps in employment. Many current students and recent graduates have significant gaps in employment that might make them difficult to place. What is the most effective way to provide employment history on a resume when someone has periods of unemployment?

Hi Courtney! Perhaps the key is to focus away from experience and place more emphasis on specific skills learned in your program. A functional, as opposed to chronological, resume may help, or at least a section of applied skills at the top of the resume.

You can't substitute experience, but if there is enough focus on the skills to get a student into an interview, and then the student demonstrates that he or she has successfully balanced school, work, family reponsibilities, etc. and can bring the same initiative and accountability to the employer, there is a good chance for a hire.

I have found that employers often hire on gut instinct and on the impression the applicant leaves as opposed to amount of experience (depending on the job of course).

Jay Hollowell, MaxKnowledge
Guest Facilitator

At our school we have found mock interviews to be so helpful. I do individual interviews and also incorporate them into group exercises as part of our Job Search class.

The group exercises are beneficial because frequently observers can suggest answers to the questions I pose to the current "interviewee," which increases their confidence as well as assisting in answering the question asked.

All our exercises are designed to help build confidence and the help the students to "think on their feet."

Hi Mary, thanks for your comments! Mock interviews, as you noted, are a tremendous practice tool to get students better acquainted and more comfortable with the professional, and stressful, interviewing process.

Just a couple of quick questions. Per chance, do you have a standard evaluation form or template that is used to provide feedback to the students who have a mock interview? Do you videotape the mock interviews? Just curious...

Jay Hollowell
MaxKnowledge Guest Facilitator

Great Mary. It's important to get students comfortable with the interview process. It starts by recognizing how little confidence most have. It's necessary to build the confidence with skills and practice. You might want to have a list of 20 interview activities with the last practice interview with an actual employer who comes to the campus. Thanks, Susan

We don't currently use an evaluation form, but I think that's a great idea. We also don't videotape the mock interview. Although videotaping is certainly instructive, it can also be so intimidating that it can become more of a hindrance than a help.

Hi Mary, We feel that everything should be measured. Otherwise how do you know how you are doing and what is working. We talked about video taping in another response. The goal is to take the intimidation out of the interview process. You don't want grads to go on interviews feeling like they might be intimidated. Why not ask students what kind of exercises they would like to do to reduce their fears and lack of self confidence. They just might provide you with the information you need. Thanks, Susan

I have had several students inquire about getting a job if they have a felon. My response to them is there are employers out there that are forgiving and will at least try to give second chances. The student has to sell themselves and build confidence with the employer

Hi Javier, This is a very important point. It starts in admissions and depends on your programs. Some careers simply do not allow for felons to apply. So admissions needs to know this and the limitations have to be fully disclosed. Otherwise it is a challenge. Some believe that people who have served time deserve a second chance. Others do not. So it takes some extra assistance to get felons through the job search process. Thanks, Susan

It can be a challenge sometimes when these students are wondering why they can't get a job and they have been to several interviews and they are not getting hired. You have to bring the student back and evaluate there interviews. How are they answering their responses to the doctors. Eval the students mannerisms at these interviews. refresh a mock interview with the student. Have them check back in and see how they do with the next interviews.

Yes, Angie. A grad can learn a lot by going over the interview they had. Think of everything that went well. Then areas for improvement. Learning how to be successful on an interview takes a lot of practice. Not just one session. It takes inner confidence too. That is built up over time. That's a good reason to invite employers or alumni in to offer lots of interview opportunities. Maybe have speed interviewing sessions. Each interviewer to ask a different question or create a different challenge. Thanks, Susan

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities