Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I found agreement with this comment. I, too, work for a smaller school and impacts of an increased regulatory environment is multiple. First, it has caused our school to increase cost and time to maintain ethics and professionalism. Secondly, building communication and understanding from all school departments on regulations and transparency has benefited our team cohesion and support of one another. Finally, it is another way of ensuring that the high standards of our programs meet and result in students graduating with applicable career knowledge and success.

Ilene,

It has become increasingly difficult to maintain a compliant environment in the area of cost containment. The campuses are more than willing to initiate compliance methods but the cost is high and as you mentioned many small campuses must outsource or downsize their staff to be able to incorporate all of the compliance metrics necessary. However, compliance is critical to protect the public.

Cindy Bryant

The regulations by the Department of Ed have become stricter over the last few years, specifically for career colleges. Schools need high graduation numbers as well as placement numbers. This ensures the Title IV aid is used for industries where students can obtain viable employment after graduation and are able to pay their loans back. It has impacted my institution in many ways. My industry has only recently become licensed in my state. This regulation change has made our standards higher. We have become even more focused on graduation rates, assisting students in completion. We have increased the Career Services Department for this licensure and to assist with students obtaining employment after graduation. I believe that can only help our students to trust the industry and believe that they can have a long and profitable career.

There has been greater government scrutiny over non-profits due to concerns over alleged aggressive admissions marketing practices, high default rates on student loans and students are getting out of school and not getting jobs.
Faculty and staff know that everyone has to do and say the right thing and that the organization has to be transparent.

Frankly, while I agree with many of the posts, it seems that something bigger is behind the increase. For profit and even not for profit institutions are at the leading edge of designing and delivering programs that are suited to the needs on individual learners and because of that, many of the existing powers feel threatened and so, rather than trying to partner and collaborate, they resort demeaning new ideas.

Randy,

Excellent analysis. The rapid expansion of career schools may have created a threat to the traditional colleges and universities. In comparison it was proven that career schools were graduating students at a higher success rate. Additionally, the students were better prepared for their chosen career.

Cindy Bryant

Tina,

Thank you so much for sharing how the change in the regulatory environment has impacted your school. It sounds as if your school has made many changes for the good as a result of the increased scrutiny.

Cindy Bryant

We went from one accrediting agency to two and then back to one just this year. a lot of things to remember but if we all "do the right thing" it's very easy to be successful.

DaleAnne,

Sometimes managing more than one accrediting agency can become overwhelming hopefully the reduction to one accreditor will allow you to manage processes more efficiently.

Cindy Bryant

The regulatory changes of the past few years have created a culture of compliance at my institution that is now carefully monitored and constantly audited. These upgraded measures, including more stringent training requirements & improved SOPs serve us all well in deterring questionable practices and misinformation.

Ana,

Hi! Thanks for sharing how your school has handle the heightened monitoring from different agencies. It sounds as if you are truly on top of compliance.

Cindy Bryant

The regulatory environment has changed significantly since I began a career in proprietary education in 2009. Admissions representatives are no longer motivated using practices that "pay by the enrollment" Fortunately for students and prospective students more care is given to honesty, transparency and being forthright toward every student and prospective student thanks to a more regulated admissions environment.

I find your response interesting. Perhaps the reason for that bigger microscope and negative press might be the manipulative tactics utilized by some institutions to recruit students.

Wayne,

Thank you for joining the forum. As many of us are aware not every employee at every college has been truthful and forthright. As time passes I would hope to see the negativity diminish...unfortunately, it is more difficult to recoup a reputation than to build one from scratch. Every day we have the opportunity to make the right decision.

Cindy Bryant

The regulatory environment has become one that is particularly discriminatory towards proprietary schools. For example, when ideas about Gainful Employment regulations were floating around, the staff here were very confused that it solely applied to us, but not public or private colleges and universities. Why would the government not be equally concerned that graduates of those institution be working in a way to be able to pay back their student loans? The way regulations are imposed it feels like there is an assumption of guilt until proven innocent.

The impact of these changes is that we are relying more heavily on organizations like OACCS to remind the government to even the playing field by recognizing the vital role we play in working with an underserved population that has so many strikes against them. For example, we take on a population that is more likely to default on their loan due to lack of financial literacy and is more likely to take out full loan borrowing for living expenses to make ends meet. That doesn't mean we didn't do our job in raising up their living situations.

Trudy,

Good evening...thank you for sharing your thoughts with the forum.

Cindy Bryant

Every year that passes has seen tighter and more directed changes to the Financial Aid process on the Federal and State requirements. While many of these changes are good and attempt to stop certain people from abusing the system, they also force more process steps for everyone, both for prospective students and Financial Aid officers. Most of the changes force a student to shorten their time while pursuing higher education or only allowing for a few choices, and can be a bit unforgiving if a student makes a mistake or changes their mind. This is just my perspective of the last 10 years in Financial Aid.

I have seen tighter and more rigorous changes to my own schools policies and procedurs. There has also been an increase in training and offered learning to stay ahead of all the changes that constantly occur in the financial aid world. To be blunt, it has gotten more and more difficult, while the funds available to the students have diminished or become harder to secure. Hopefully things may change in the future, but I dont know...

Aaron,

While the more restrictive work environment has been difficult and burdensome for many schools the positive side is that much more training is occurring across the country and the colleges are becoming stronger. Federal aid will always be changing and dependent upon where the U.S. sits economically the regulations will become more lenient or stricter.

Cindy Bryant

The regulatory environment has become more stringent over the past few years. The school that I work for has always held the highest level of standards in adhering to USDE and accrediting agency. We have had more internal audits to ensure all files are in compliance. As a campus, we are all working as a team to have a basic understanding of each departments policies and procedures. This promotes better communication and awareness of what is required for each department. This helps us to provide our students with a positive and healthy learning environment.

Sign In to comment