Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Danielle,

Hi! Though we may haggle over finer details of regulation, whether they have gone too far or have not gone far enough, there is widespread approval of regulation. Regulation keep us moving forward and keep us in line with integrity and many times our own mission statement.

Cindy Bryant

Vivian,

Welcome to the forum. Based on the fact that Safe Harbors were eliminated eliminating bonuses and commission for Admissions Departments how has that impacted daily operations at your campus?
Cindy Bryant

I have high hopes that all admissions departments can eventually learn to embrace these new regulations to have a positive effect on the industry. I feel that the regulatory changes have actually been to the benefit of our industry goals. Yes – some institutions have suffered financially, or even completely – but THANK YOU that they are no longer shedding negative light on our overall goal. As educators and institutions that educate, we should all have the mission of providing excellent career training with the goal to provide highly skilled employable graduates. If we do not do this, we are sabotaging the entire industry as a whole.
I completed my bachelors and masters degrees through what felt like a “diploma mill.” Heck – even my most recent attempt at completing my Doctoral degree felt as though they could’ve cared less about our level of education – just complete the assignments and get the degree. There where people in my cohort that wrote more poorly than most fifth graders. It was atrocious – not just apparent lack of writing ability (to include the basics of grammar, spelling, and punctuation) but manners and attitudes in which they completed their forum dialogue.
I do not want any of my students or graduates feeling as though they got pushed through the system. I’d rather hear them grumble about additional “outside work” and our strict adherence to standards – that means we’re doing our job.

I actually believe that all these regulations will actually help the career college industry as a whole. Those that choose not to comply will be cut out and our industry will eventually outshine the state funded colleges. At least students will know that they can get continuing career assistance – we won’t even be able to continue offering courses for programs that don’t meet employment standards. Our students even can audit classes for free, return as Program Advisory Committee members, and participate in any of our events for students and alumni. I never got any of that from my community college or state universities.

I'm new to both the school and the United States, so I find the regulatory environment completely novel. For my part, I find the regulatory environment and regulations themselves to be quite helpful, with clear explanations of what are the expectations of the regulatory body towards the school, its administration and instructors as well as students.

Lisa,

Welcome to the forum. I think it very exciting that the course has been able to enlighten you.

Cindy Bryant

Regulatory scrutiny has increased over the past few years. Employees and students of the for profit education sector have started a public dialogue about the business and recruiting tactics at some schools. The government and other regulatory bodies have found it necessary to further examine some of these complaints. Our schools face some challenges in overcoming the stigma of the influence of being owned by a corporation with investors and shareholders. I think a heavier focus on student success and achievment versus student enrollment will help the sector as a whole.

Over the last five years there have been regulatory requirements to encourage and promote schools to be more accountable. Our school is a relatively new school in the Title 4 financial aid process who's mission encouraged accountability without regulatory requirements.

Over the last five years there have been regulatory requirements to encourage and promote schools to be more accountable. Our school is a relatively new school in the Title 4 financial aid process who's mission encouraged accountability without regulatory requirements.

The regulatory environment, especially with regard to for-profit higher education, is increasingly becoming more stringent. With the passing of the program integrity regulations and the critique of for-profit education in the press and in the political arena it directly impacts many decisions that schools make in regards to communicating with prospective and current students.

The school that I work for has always abided by the "do the right thing" mentality and we are continuously focused on improving our institutional effectiveness, student outcomes, and graduate success.

The current regulations do make us think twice before we put anything to print, and it necessitates very structured discussions our prospective students have with admissions representatives. Both of which are positive and bring about more honest communication.

For the most part, it hasn't changed much in the way we do things on a day-to-day basis. The education department continues to focus on student learning, and our admissions and marketing departments continue to maintain honest communication with our prospective students. The career services department is working hard to improve feedback from employers to verify graduate employment and the response rate, at this time, is acceptable but we are striving for optimal.

If we continue to follow the golden rule, the current regulations shouldn't have any significant impact on us.

The biggest change that has impacted our school is the requirement for a GED or High School Diploma in order to receive Title IV funding. As the Wonderlic test is no longer allowed our school has seen a decrease in student enrollment. However, in an effort to be proactive, our school offers a free GED three-month course for any individual wishing to receive a GED. The course was established for three reasons. First, to assist those individuals that wish to attain a GED which is beneficial for employment. Secondly,to give individuals that did not complete school an opportunity to achieve a diploma. Finally, to build a relationship with perspective individuals that would like to continue his/her education with our school. The GED course builds the foundation.

The regulatory environment has changed in that the USDE has now put more responsibility on State Regulators and Accrediting bodies to monitor schools within their state.
My company has always worked hard to be above the curve when it comes to upcoming regulatory changes and have strived to immediately put in to practice any state mandated changes into not only our forms, but our daily procedures.
This has helped with School Accountability as well as for all employees to "DO the Right Thing" in all our interactions with students, regardless of where they are in the process of their education.

Ashley,

The USDE has put more responsibility on State Regulators and Accrediting bodies. This has led both regulatory bodies to increase their oversight which has created a heightened sense of oversight for the schools. Doing the right thing has not changed and never will. Every school must continue to strive to do the right thing. Thank you for your comments.

Cindy Bryant

Michelle,

It is unfortunate that a group of students must be denied the right to receive federal aid however, it is a great that schools like yours continue to offer opportunities for ATB students to achieve their goal of an education.

Cindy Bryant

Evonda,

Since your school is new to Title IV I am interested in what differences you see since the transition from the non-Title IV school to the Title IV school? Would you mind sharing your experiences?

Cindy Bryant

Evonda,

Since your school is new to Title IV I am interested in what differences you see since the transition from the non-Title IV school to the Title IV school? Would you mind sharing your experiences?

Cindy Bryant

In the past 2 years that i have worked for my company the admissions department almost doubled. Now growth is important in business, but gradual growth secures longevity. The growth actually had a negative impact because due to the large number of reps in the department the enrollment numbers grew every week causing lots of stress. Incoming calls were low or not enough to satisfy the weekly goals leading to turmoil and dishonest work. Also the support departments, like financial aid and student services were not equipped to handle the large volume of students coming in causing fall offs and angry enrolled students that felt ignored. Many of the departments began quarrels and in essence many of those that were hired had to be let go because the workflow was all out of balance and the company wasn't making it's projected money.

Javian,

Welcome to the forum.Thank you for sharing your experiences with unfacilitated growth. Hopefully it will help your peers understand the importance of balancing growth efforts with internal structures.

Cindy Bryant

Due to misconduct and misrepresentation in the past, the regulatory enviroment has enforced more strict rules. In doing so I believe the standards for our school are higher..

I feel that the regulatory environment has become stricter, due to some schools requirements on admissions representatives to meet quotas or making commissions from enrollments. The DOE is enforcing laws preventing this, so now the student doesn't feel as pressured to get enrolled, nor do they get scammed into going into a program or school they might not have otherwise wanted to enroll in. This hopefully will increase graduation rates, which is better for the student experience, and for the government not paying out as much money in grants and loans for students that do not complete school.

Wow...Cindy I could be here forever talking about this! It's unfortunate because of past doings by certain schools not following guidelines and misleading students etc..that we have a much more strict enforcement on things which not only effects the school but the students as well.

Sign In to comment