Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

behaviorial disibilities

Shouldn't schools have a more detailed plan for students with behaviorial limitations, such as asbergers? This topic is rarely touched upon, and I feel that IEPs(individual education plans) that are implemented for these type of learners be carried throughout their college career as well.

Danielle,
The population of students with Aspergers or on the autism spectrum certainly stretch our understanding and our process for helping students with disabilities. And it might be useful to have some kind of an organized plan for such intervention and assistance. There is nothing that prohibits institutions of higher education from choosing to adopt and follow an IEP-like plan. But let's be clear. The institution is not under obligation to provide such a plan OR to follow one that comes with the student from K-12. It is the difference between Special Ed and civil rights. We only are OBLIGATED to provide access, not success. Of course, we hope for success from all students.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Yes because communication is a key to understanding how to understand a person who has a significant difficulties.

I am not sure what you are referring to, Tyshon. Are you suggesting that an IEP *should* be developed because it will help faculty to know how to support a student with Asperger's? That really isn't the purpose of such a plan. Are you, perhaps, talking about a Letter of Accommodation?

Dr. Jane Jarrow

i fell schools should have detailed plans for students to help prepare the student for their cochies too help them make good desisions about their carreer we want them to be successful

Teresa,
I missed something there -- was that word ("cochies") supposed to be "choices?" While I don't disagree that we want to do everything we can to promote individual success, I am not sure how this pertains more to students with behavioral disabilities than to any other student.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I agree with the Dr. An IEP is an accommodation, and does not necessarily lead to success in all cases. As educational administrators, it is our job to make sure that such plans are followed in the correct manner to assist students in completing their programs.

Amanda,
I am not sure what you are agreeing to -- but I am also not sure it is something I said! GRIN An IEP is NOT an accommodation. In fact, IEP's don't exist in higher education -- they are only for the K-12 level.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Having a student with a behavioral disability could be an asset or a challenge. In my experience knowing before hand that there is someone you have the 'watch out' for may make an instructor more lenient for one student or vindictive to the allowances for a student's behavior. I believe allowing a student to communicate with the instructor upfront his or her limitations could allow the student and instructor to establish their own relationship. I feel that some students 'milk' the emotions because no one really cares to ask what the student is or is not able to do.

So a student's IEP following them after the 12th grade in my opinion is not in the best interest of a maturing student who is learning to be more responsible.

Julia,
I agree entirely. The kind of support that is often given in the K-12 system goes way beyond what is appropriate for us to give in higher education. For that matter, a clean break with that environment -- and those props -- may be healthy for a student in recognizing his/her own capabilities and is certainly helpful in bringing students to a new understanding of the respect we have for their potential and the expectations we have for their behavior.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Amen Dr. Jarrow-
I am so happy to see this myself in print- that IEP's are only for K-12.

There is such a rampant misunderstanding on our campus that an incoming student with an IEP from secondary schools is given a "hall pass" through the institution.

It is my perception that K-12 treats students with learning challenges with kid gloves. The learning disabiity has become a crutch, and an excuse for poor performance and inconsistent attendance. By the time many of these students arrive at our door, they have developed an additional handicap rather than over-coming one...

My challenge, and my question to this thread is, how do we separate grain from chaff in this case, and without the student having to incur extensive and expensive testing, how do we recognize and accommodate what may be legitimate learning disabilities? Our ADA policies state that the student must bring in appropriate documentation from a health-care professional (leaving that interpretation to include mental healthcare/ psychologist) but should we refer them to other resources to document cognitive disabilities in order to make more sound decisions regarding reasonable accommodations?

I want to be careful not to make blanket determinations that they are not "qualified" students without further information on a case-by case basis, or make inference regarding their ability to perform at this level, but also don't want the documentation that we require serve as a descriminatory barrier to enrollment... and this area seems to be remarkably gray...

Gayle,
Wow... you ask a series of excellent questions here! First, let me clarify that while the IEP that specifies accommodations and modifications to be made for the student is only applicable to the K-12 level, the diagnosis (recognition) of disability DOES transfer to the postsecondary level. As our laws refer to protection for anyone who "has a disability, has a history of disability, or is regarded as disabled", students who come from the K-12 history with a record of having been served as students with disabilities would almost certainly qualify. The bigger question is what they qualify FOR. The focus of accommodations in K-12 is on successfully moving the student through the system (i.e., graduation). Our accommodations focus on ACCESS (i.e., on making sure the student has an equal CHANCE to be successful). We do not assign accommodations that water down the curriculum or expectations. We simply manage the environment so that the student has the same opportunity as everyone else to achieve (or not!) in that curriculum. How do you know whether these students are "qualified"? By looking at their academic credentials, NOT their disability determination. There is nothing in further testing that would impact on the student's qualified status either way. It would might give you information about what is necessary for access, but no matter how mild or severe the disability, the student is "qualified" to try by virtue of being a high school graduate (plus whatever other credentials are required of all incoming students). And who makes the decision? That question will be answered differently at different institutions. Logically, the decision as to what kind of accommodations should be provided should be the purview of someone who is knowledgeable about issues of disability and access, then shared with instructors. Some institutions pass that responsibility to individual instructors which can lead to folks giving "a free pass" out of bewilderment (it is easier to follow the IEP when you don't have anything else to go on), or -- worse -- different accommodations in different classes depending upon the whim and the mood of different faculty, thus jeopardizing the student's access and the institution's legal compliance.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I believe that knowing of the disability before hand is extremely beneficial to the instructor, especially if there is a danger of physical aggression.

At the beginning of each semester, I ask students to meet with me privately if they would like to discuss any special learning arrangements that would work better for them. Some students had been tested for learning disabilities, and it was helpful to me to be aware of their need in order to tailor some of my lesson plans and testing methods.

In the past, I was not aware of the disabilities of some of my students until they were sitting in front of me and I was able to observe their behavior. Other students were unaware, as well, and reacted in ways that were not so kind or understanding. It was very challenging to deal with the needs of this student while encouraging appropriate behavior from other students. As one of the requirements for this particular class, I developed a questionnaire "Understanding My Diversity" and encouraged students to share their answers with the class. Fortunately, the outcome of this situation was very positive for all involved.

Sharon ,
It sounds as though you have found a very effective way of creating an inclusive and welcoming environment for students with disabilities in your classes. Bravo! YOUR response to students with disabilities will serve as a model for the other students in the class -- and everyone wins!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Our school makes the teachers aware that the student had IEPs. What we do with that information is between the student and the teacher. If one of my students tells me that no accomodation is necessary its class as usual but if another asks me to help them in any way that I can I do. The students are considered young adults and they know what they need help with.

Michelle,
I am a little concerned that the school is leaving the responsibility solely in the hands of instructors, but I am not concerned for YOUR students. Clearly, they have found a sympathetic ear and feel comfortable in approaching you if they are in need of help. That's all we can ask or hope for.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Sharon what a wonderful idea! My concern is could it also have an adverse effect; meaning those that may not want to disclose this information about themselves or others that did not know may now be judgmental in their treatment; in class or out of class.
The reason I say this is I worked with a fellow nurse who had asperger's; while we were presented by this nurse and our manager what asperger's entails as an inservice. There were those who took it upon themselves to be retaliative instead of supportive and these are health care professionals! Any thoughts?

Thank you for addressing this; I believe Sharon has a great idea and would be willing to give this a try but am worried about possible repercussions.

Mardi,
I don't think Sharon was suggesting that students be REQUIRED to share the information about their disability, only that they be invited to do so. My reference to modeling behavior for the students had to do with the way Sharon might then respond to the students with disabilities -- her positive acceptance. As to your concern about possible negative consequences, experience suggests that individuals who are insensitive about such things once they are known would have been equally insensitive without the specifics of the information. Individuals with Aspergers' are used to finding others who refuse to be patient or understanding. It doesn't make it easier, but it is not so unexpected. We cannot change the attitudes of the world. We can only model how it SHOULD be and hope for the best.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

On the quiz, it says that it is appropriate for the instructor to contact public safety if a student with Asperger's has an unpleasant, disruptive verbal exchange with another student in class. This seems quite subjective.

Sign In to comment