Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Kelly,
Actually, that is NOT what it says. That response -- contact public safety to suggest the student is a threat -- was a WRONG answer to that question. The correct answer was to find a way to calm the situation in the classroom now, and -- if you feel it necessary -- you may consider filing disciplinary charges against the student later, for his continued disruption of the class after repeated warnings (part of the description in the scenario). As it states in the quiz, "While it would certainly be appropriate to file disciplinary charges against John (since he has been warned repeatedly and it seems to make no difference in his behavior), his words do not represent any credible threat to safety. They are not words that would raise alarm if the student had no disability."

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I strongly agree with utilizing the IEP from previous K-12 schools in the college and universities. These plans helps to guarantee that the student receives the opportunity to achieve. Of course, modifications and reassessments may be required.

If we hope for success, we should be willing and able to care out the terms of the IEP plan.

Freda,
Actually, I DON'T agree. The IEP is developed in a very different way, for a very different reason, than we draw up plans for accommodating students with disabilities at the college level. The IEP is about success -- not access -- and it tends to be a negotiated settlement with the parents, not a plan that is based on maintaining curricular standards.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Freda,
We should be willing and able to provide appropriate accommodations in order to assure ACCESS. Whether or not they are successful is up to them, just as it is for all other students. While we HOPE all students will be successful, that is not the purpose of accommodations.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I am the proud parent of a brilliant Child with high functioning Autism. The IEP that was established for him from K-8th grade has helped him grow tremendously. I realize it is not an option but early intervention is key to sucess. I personally have more patients for my adult ADD students and asperger students. THey are generally very sweet and bright.

Amy,
Personal experience is certainly a great teacher. I, too, am the parent of a child with a severe disability. The things I learned as a parent have informed my practice as a professional educator -- no question about it!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I think that knowing of the disability before hand is beneficial to the teacher, especially if there is a danger of physical aggression.

Carola,
Hmmm... if there is a DANGER of physical aggression, there should be more than a "heads up". There should be a plan in place. But that is the RARE exception in these circumstances. What we want to avoid is having students stigmatized because of a diagnosis.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

This is a great idea. I think this help all of the students to be more understanding of one another and be encouraging instead if irritated.

Sharon,
I agree. Giving all students a chance to share their personal "differences" makes the differences created by disability less stigmatizing.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Sign In to comment